Saturday, March 22, 2008

What's that you said?

I really dislike public speaking. I fidget and do all the wrong things when I'm talking to people, like play with my buttons, or fold my arms, or some other bad body language movement.

It's amazing how quickly I've gotten over that, being forced to stand in front of 12-16 people a couple of times a week and tell them what to do for an hour. It's amazing that they actually listen. Lack of confidence, I guess, had me expecting people would look at me and ask who the hell was I and why should they do what I say. Strangely, they just accept it and do what they're asked, even when they don't like it or don't want to.

I'm also finding it's helping other things. In different situations now, where I was previously concerned about getting a negative response, I have more confidence now to expect that whatever I ask for, I'll get. Well, within reason, obviously.

I needed this. I needed to go waaaay outside my comfort zone - and I'm still operating way on the outside of where I'm comfortable - to see that being out there isn't so bad. If you talk loud enough and say the right things, people will listen.

I'm learning about myself. I'm finding my voice.

4 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Only way to do it is to make yourself. After that it gets easier.

7:46 pm  
Blogger Mel said...

*nodding*
'Public speaking' is a Nike deal for me.
I get weird, prior to, every time.

Well, weird-ER, of course.

Comes easy when you have a passion--and when you've had a few drinks. LOL

COFFEE, of course.....geeze

9:31 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wouldn't say I love public speaking, but talking about something I know about helps, so I at least look comfortable even if I'm faking. :) But put a microphone or podium in front of me and I turn into a blathering idiot.

Just takes a LOT of practice.

6:00 pm  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

Yay! I'm glad you're getting a taste for it. I love public speaking and it really does boost your self-confidence each time you do it.

I wish I could find more opportunities to do it.

4:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home