Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Tears and tears

I'm a little amazed at the high number of injuries our outdoor training clients have. Maybe it's an across the board thing and what I'm seeing is concentrated, but damn, people hurt themselves more than me! I have to clarify, it's not just when they're training. Back injuries from work, rolled ankles from lord knows what, hamstring tears (that happened on my watch last night and I felt awful about it), shoulder injuries, calf strains.... Or you have nights like tonight, where everyone works hard and it all comes together. Tonight was good.

But there were almost tears afterwards. I've been doing strength training with one of the clients for a practical assessment I have to do for school. Tonight was our last night and I know she was disappointed that it was going to end. For contract reasons, my trainer and I are not allowed to take the group class clients as personal paying clients. She wants the extra training so she can lose weight and have a baby. She's also decided she wants to do a 10km run in 16 weeks. We told her tonight she could continue her sessions with me twice a week, for no payment. I'll be doing it in my own time, before the group sessions. I thought she was going to cry when I told her. I thought if she cried, I would have cried and I'm glad she didn't. Really, I don't care if she doesn't pay me. For an hour of my time each week, I'm helping to give someone a better life. That's pretty cool to me and if she does that run in 16 weeks, that will be payment enough. To be honest, her smile was enough.

8 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

So if I ask for your TV and smile in payment, will that be enough? :) Actually - hang on - I think it was my TV to start with anyway!

Good for you, for doing so well. It is a great feeling to like a job and know from the people you train that you are also good at it. Strangely, it also happened to me this morning too - a client told me I was the best PT she had ever had :)

Now - speaking of injuries - did I ever tell you about the time I was playing squash in Camberwell, and I actually felt the tendon on my right calf snap and spring up my leg, to tangle around the top of the muscle...?

11:51 pm  
Blogger Mel said...

Ow.
Ow, ow, OW!

<---feeling so bad for Jones that I can't respond....LOL

OW!

9:57 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

Ow indeed. Let's just say it was not the most pleasant walk to the doctor afterwards... :(

11:53 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ugh!

I'm a wimp, so no hideous sports injuries here. Just broken fingers and toes.

It's really sweet of you to keep helping that one lady. Maybe she'll refer business to you later on.

4:02 am  
Blogger caro said...

It's so rewarding to know you've blessed someone! Go E :) I could use a trainer though....guess I'll have to find someone a bit closer to home, darn!

8:38 pm  
Blogger Barbara said...

Eve..have you talked to SJ...can you email...

trojanbabe@hotmail.com.

Something is amiss

9:26 am  
Blogger DrunkenNoodleBreakfast said...

As someone who has always struggled with her weight and someone who is a labor support professional, I have to say that you are doing some admirable work with this woman. Her quality of life, birth experience, and sense of accomplishment are all going to be better because of you. Bravo!

11:45 am  
Blogger Ariel said...

Yes, Please email? EmpressAriel@gmail.com
Desperately worried about Mr. Jones.

1:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home