Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Fumes

On Monday, I did my best to gas myself in my car. No, it wasn't on purpose and it took me a day to figure out what I'd done, and it wasn't pleasant.

Early, early Monday morning, I went back to my old place to do a final clean up. In my wisdom, I used towels and a load of disinfectant, then threw it all in my car with the last remaining cleaning bits and pieces, drove to my storage unit, then to the truck hire place, to pay them, then to the real estate to take my keys back, then to work. All the while, coz it was cold, I had the windows in the car all wound up. I got to work just before 11am, so I was about 2 hours all up, in my car.

By 3pm, my head was hurting. By 4pm, I couldn't think straight. I left at 4.15, because if I didn't go then, I would have thrown up for sure and not been able to go anywhere. Brainiac that I am, I didn't smell the fumes in my car from all the chemicals, till I got back in my car to go home. I was at least smart enough to open the windows despite the weather, but it was too late.

It's now Wednesday morning and I still have that 'my head's been hurting' feeling. My car still stinks. Monday night was so bad I was in bed before 5pm, lights out, and even the light from the screen on my mobile phone hurt my eyes. Not the most ideal second night in my new abode!

I'm still living out of boxes and can't find anything. The cats are freaked out, but doing ok. G (who used to be a serious animal rights activist) has befriended a stray cat that hangs around the front door, despite my protestations. It's a nice cat and the neighbours all look after it, but it's a boy and he'll beat my girls up and I don't want to have to get nasty with it. I told G to find a new home for it, or he could always sit outside and keep it company. He's already named it and snuck food from my fridge to feed it. Ggrrrrr!

My new housemate seems easy going. He's certainly patient. All my crap is scattered around the house and tonight will be the first time I'll have a decent chance to organise it...and his kids will be over for the night, so that should be interesting! He did mention in passing one night that he sometimes walks around the house naked. I couldn't tell if he was joking or not. Soon find out, I suppose!

G and I have made a mutual decision to go back to being just friends. So far, it's working much better than we expected. We still hang out, he still stays over. There's just no intimacy - by choice - and it feels comfortable and we're liking it more than we thought we would. Company without the complications.

Whatever else I had to say, I can't remember. Either it wasn't as important as I first thought, or the fumes of the last couple of days have killed more brain cells than I first thought. Oh well, good reason to hire a cleaner next time...

10 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Careful... you can't afford to lose any more brain cells.. ;)

4:09 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL, had a similar incident when the contractors were here... some of their machinery was venting into the house. Took about a day to clear my head. Hope I only killed the weakest brain cells!!!

Can't say I envy the unpacking bit, but the new house mate sounds cool.

I know it's probably a bit of a bummer w/ G, but for now it really does sound like it's what he needs at the moment. Plus, you never know what tomorrow will bring. HAHA, speaking of which, I had this total blast from the past by way of a girlfriend who just started online dating... OOOoooooOOOoooh, this is the summer of poetic justice!!

5:26 pm  
Blogger caro said...

Geeze, I hope you are feeling better! I get migraines, so I can sympathize, but I really hope the headache is gone by now!

Good luck settling in to the new place and with G. One day at time, right?

*hugs*

6:59 pm  
Blogger Mel said...

Well, SJ stole my line.....

Makes you seriously wonder why anyone would wanna 'huff' on purpose.

Ummmmm.....

Walks around naked?!
(LOL You know I get stuck on the darndest things.....)

10:44 pm  
Blogger Anonymous G said...

Good gawd, woman! I'm hoping you're feeling better by now.

Hoping you get settled in soon. We want your new place to feel like HOME!

How about you buy your roomie some lounging pants??

2:24 am  
Blogger grrltraveler said...

...unless you want to see him in the "nippy-doo's" as my hubby likes to call it (see anon G's comment)... but it figures he's probably a 50 yr old balding guy with a muffin top and no tan! lol

Be careful with the chemicals! Holy cow!

xo

7:47 am  
Blogger Mel said...

Ummm.....hello over there?

You okay?

*thinkin' about ya*

Can I send early birthday wishes?
Is that allowed?

Hellooooooooo over there!!!!!

12:14 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

So who you going to be drinking Toblerones with this year? :)

12:26 am  
Blogger Mel said...

Okay.....that's it!

I'm singing and you'll just get to deal. LOL

Happy Birthday to YOU.
Happy Birthday to YOU!!
Happy Birthday, Happy, Happy Birthday!!!!!
Happy Birthday to YoUuuUUUUuuuUUUUuuuuuuu!!!!!

((((((((((((E))))))))))))))

Oh I do hope it's a wonderful celebration, today!

10:29 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

hope everything is a-ok in your neck of the woods!

and happy birthday!!!

tons of hugs and love heading your way... ;)

12:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home