Monday, January 15, 2007

Four things short n sweet

New blogger? Old blogger? I'm still using old blogger. Each time I log in, I feel like I'm behind the times. But is new better? Do I have to change? I'm not sure I want to just yet.

I like cinnamon. I didn't know this before. It's a recent discovery. I put it in my yogurt and tonight I'm putting it on a baked apple. I'll post a recipe for those who care to read to the end of this post. (Like me posting a recipe isn't a miracle in itself!)

Some dude used a pick up line on me in the grocery store last night. It was so lame, I couldn't think of a come back. He came up to me with a pack of meat in his hands that was clearly labelled "stir fry beef". He asked if he could use it in stir fry. I said yes. Next, he wanted me to help him select a sauce for it. I must have had my best 'don't care' look on my face, coz he gave up after that. I really dislike shopping. I go when it's late, so I don't have to deal with other people. I'm going to have to start going later.

I stayed at the house of the anti-me on Saturday night. It was eventful. A friend turned up. Then another. It got late. By 12.30 I was sitting in the lounge trying not to fall asleep. After the first two rounds of friends left, I told the anti-me that we were like the odd couple and I was suprised we even got along with each other. He agreed. He also agreed that it's nice having no complications. By 1am I was under blankets. By 1.30am he had another visitor - a friend who had had a fight with his wife and decided to sleep at the anti-me's house. By 6am, I was woken again by the boys getting the boat ready to go fishing. At least he made me a cup of tea. They left not much later. I went back to bed with a book (I travel prepared). I made breakfast and let myself out a few hours later.

If only I could have ice-cream with this. It's ready now, so I'm gonna go eat...(except for the cardamom, whatever that is...)

Baked Apples with Blueberry Jam

A delicious way to eat fresh fruit! The best apples to use at the moment are Red Delicious, Granny Smith, or Pink Lady.

Ingredients (Serves 4)

* 2 large apples or nectarines halved and stoned
* 1 teaspoon mixed spice
* 200 grams (7oz/0.4lb) blueberries
* 1/2 teaspoon stevia *(optional)
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 5 cardamom pods crushed
* 1/2 vanilla pod split and scraped
* 1 cup water


Instructions:

1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
2. Place apples or nectarines halves cut side up on baking tray. Sprinkle with mixed spice.
3. Cover with foil and bake 25-30 minutes until soft.
4. To make jam place blueberries, stevia, cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla pod and water into heavy based saucepan. 5. Cover and simmer 15 minutes, until fruit partially broken down.
6. Place apple or nectarine halves into serving dish top with Blueberry Jam.
7. Serve warm.

8 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Stir Fry. Got it. Must remember that one. I normally go up to a girl while holding a handful of purple fruit and ask her if she likes my plumbs ;)

Did your baked apple look lke the one in the pic? :)

9:24 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Nope. It didn't. I got duped. The recipe says cut the apple, so I did. I should have looked at the picture and just cored it. Still tasted good. Just not as pretty as the photo.

The stir fry line might work....if the stuff you're holding doesn't actually say 'stir fry beef' on the packet. lol

9:30 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

Maybe I'll just walk up holding a Twix and ask her if she'd like a finger ;)

9:39 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

...or maybe not...! Anyway, Twix are not for sharing. Speaking of chocolate....Tim Tams Black Forest Fantasy! Mmmmm....

9:44 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

Haven't had Tim Tams in ages. Perhaps on my very last day in Melbourne I'll go sit by the Yarra with a packet, watch the people walk by and nibble on my indulgence :)

9:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well when I strolled on over here I certainly didn't expect that photo of sheer yumminess to be staring at me in the face - mocking me, tormenting me. Now I'm freaking hungry!!

I'm not a cinnamon girl myself, usually it's too hot for me and makes my eyes water. (But I love hot sauce and so much pepper you'd sneeze yourself silly, as I often do but I like sneezing...)

I love the pickup line!!! It's so cheezy (meaty?!) it's awesome! Do you know not ONE guy has ever used one on me? :( I always got the standard, "You wanna go out sometime?" routine. Sigh.

10:30 pm  
Blogger Mel said...

...omg..........

There's a recipe in E's blog.

*sitting down*

Someone shoulda warned me, dontchathink?

*fanning self*

10:15 am  
Blogger monica said...

LOL, I've always loved cinnamon. There's also a dress store out here which is called Cinnamon Girl, which started out with a red/pink/white theme. (They quickly expanded to cover more colors, though they stuck with a floral theme.)

Anyway, have you tried cinnamon toast? Two parts sugar to one part cinnamon on buttered toast... yummy!!!

9:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home