Saturday, January 06, 2007

Escape from Al-cat-raz

I slept in my lounge last night, because there was a cool breeze coming through the back doors and I thought it might make me sleep better in the heat. One of my cats woke me in the night, wanting to go outside, so I opened the door slightly and went back to bed.

A while later, there was some commotion in the dark. Every now and then, she likes to play soccer with whatever is around at the time. Generally, it's one of my shoes or a sock. After listening to her for a while and her ignoring my pleas to shut up, I got up to see what she was fussing over. She was playing with a tiny lizard that she'd brought inside. I was quite surprised, because neither of my cats are very good at catching anything. (Although, when I was living with the stranger, they both used to bring marsh frogs into the house and we'd have to walk them down to the lake and let them loose. They never killed any that I knew of.)

So, I rescued the little lizard, took him outside, and sent him on his way.

Five hours later, I was sitting here posting on a message board when something caught my eye. It seems my girl was busy last night, but one of her little toys got away...and was hiding in my shoe. I saw him doing a bit of an area survey to see if it was safe to leave, so I thought I better help him out.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Awwwwww....what a cute little lizard!

You coulda kept him and named his Spot!

I will remain grateful that the kitty did no damage to Spot...and celebrate that you're Spot-free!

(I'da kept him.....LOL)

9:26 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

They're funny little things. Their feet are so sticky. At first, he wouldn't go freely into the garden and I couldn't get him unstuck from my hand. Eventually, he got the idea that it was safe to go.

If I had space, or thought I would look after them well enough, I might think about keeping bigger lizards. These guys are too scared though, and if you handle them too much their tails fall off.

9:33 am  
Blogger Mel said...

:-(

We'd have to call him 'Stumpy' then.....somehow that's not as fun as 'Spot'.

Suddenly I'm glad you freed 'Spot'.

Be FREE little Spot--live happily in the garden!!

I'm glad we didn't haffta rename him.......

2:13 pm  
Blogger Anonymous G said...

We have lots of lizards around here...but none has made it into my house. They like it on my patio. And so do I. tyvm. ;-)

(not that i don't think they're CUTE, i just don't want them scurrying around my feet. in my house. kwim?)

4:34 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

Of course you know I would have wanted you not to see it, and to put your shoe on... then wonder what the wriggly thing was against your toes :)

9:48 am  
Blogger SJ said...

PS I am sick to death of that bloody Optus "Simple Life" advert on TV...

9:51 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

I'd rather have a lizard in my shoe than a spider. I saw a spider crawl into one of my bags the other day and disappear. Needless to say, I haven't used that bag since, and it's going to be taken outside to be fumigated.

Oh,and I hate just about anything to do with Optus....the stranger worked for them, then I had all that trouble over my phone bills, now their stupid, constant ads...they're out to torture me. The thing that amuses me now though, is that I'm in charge of paying their (big!) bills at work and their contact is soooo nice to me! Ha!

3:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home