Saturday, January 05, 2008

Surprise visitor

Mum sent me a text message this morning asking that I call her to help calm her down. Not exactly the kind of thing you want to see first thing, when you're only half awake - or any time, really. There were a multitude of things that could possibly have happened, and I wondered which it was. It turns out it was nothing I expected.

She got up early and went to the laundry to do a load of washing. She got part of the way through putting things in the machine when she saw one of these right beside the machine.

That guy is an Eastern Brown snake. Do they react to movement? Um, yeah. Are they venomous? One of the most venomous in the world. So, naturally, mum freaked...then phoned around for a snake handler to come and take him away.

She had to pay $50 (it was more than that, but that was all the cash she had in the house) for the guy to collect it. I get that he's a private person and has expenses (he had to drive from an hour away), but surely that kind of service should be subsidised by the local council, or something. But that's a soap box item for another time.

Anyway, mum's fine, albeit a little spooked. She was pissed at first, when I laughed, because I like snakes, but felt better when I told her how my housemate locked me outside the house with a massive spider. So we're even.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

*looks at Thammy the Thnake*
*looks at the photo*
*looks back at Thammy*
*looks at the photo*

*shudders*

Thammy's a good little thnake and stays in his nice little home and watches television with himself.
He likes football.
He's never been in the laundry room.......

I wonder if he'd like an adventure!

2:33 am  
Blogger SJ said...

Steve back for his anniversary?

7:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God, that makes me want to cry! Snakes are just one of my many crippling fears, and I can't imagine running into one in the laundry room!

I'm glad your mom is okay though :)

6:16 pm  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

That would FREAK ME OUT to no end.

I'm not sure if I mentioned in my blog that when the exterminator came out for their monthly visit, he found a snake with a rat in it's mouth all together trapped in the rat trap in one of our outbuildings.

Since that day, I refuse to go in there. I make BJ fetch things for me.

::shudder::

Glad your mom is OK,

7:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home