Friday, January 04, 2008

Non-grouch

This would be a grouch and on an entirely different blog, if it were not for the happy ending.

For reasons I still cannot explain to myself, I decided to check my credit card balance late last night, just before I went to sleep. It was a stupid idea in the first place. A $35 late fee for December caught my eye. Considering I'd made 4 payments in December, I was more than peeved. I didn't realise how peeved until I woke in the middle of the night thinking of how the phone conversation would go today. So positive affirmations as you're about to go to sleep don't always work. Check.

Each month, and always, I put at least 3-4 times more into my credit card than the required 'minimum monthly payment'. Since I didn't have that amount in December, I made weekly automatic payments so I'd at least be paying something. I was apparently $20 short of the minimum. For that $20, they charged me $35 and put my freakin' account on hold (I found that out while on the phone trying not to get irrate). Three times, I asked to speak to a supervisor. The woman refused. But I am smart and the bank has a complaints hotline. I told her not to worry about her lack of helpfulness, because I had another phone call to make and hung up.

The lovely Matt on the complaints line understood perfectly why I'd be pissed that I'd been charged a fee almost twice the amount I was supposedly short. I suggested that 'late payment fee' wasn't really an apt term when even if you make 4 payments in the month, you still get charged for not paying. He agreed, said he could see that all my payments till December had been consistently way above the minimum, so he made a couple of phone calls, got the fee and the hold removed. Nice boy.

So there, Yenni in customer service. You could be more helpful next time and I might write something nice about you, too!

4 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Pfffffffftttttttt to Yenni.

k....maybe she was having a rotten moment in time and her hair dryer blew?

Makes ya wonder how many people actually 'take it' and do nothing, huh?

12:07 am  
Blogger SJ said...

See? Women are just unhelpful, ungrateful misery-guts ;)

12:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! Hooray for Matt! I'm glad you were proactive about it and got the fee removed.

Huzzah! ;)

4:13 am  
Blogger Anonymous G said...

Good for you!

I have a history of never (i hate to say "never", but well...i'd have to say NEVER) getting resolution when I need to make a call to resolve an issue with a large company. Credit card, Medical Insurance, Airline Reservations Centers, etc...

I try to be polite and sweet. I've tried firm and direct. I've tried "may I speak to your supervisor?". Nothing works.

It's a new year. Hooray for that.

cheers!

5:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home