Sunday, December 23, 2007

Space

I've spent most of the last three days/evenings in the hospital with L. His girlfriend and kids couldn't go to see him, for various reasons, and he wanted - needed - company. The way the boy handles his illness is....well, it's hard to describe, but there's certain aspects of his attitude to being sick, and life in general, that I'd like to adopt for myself. I think I learnt a few things the last couple of days.

The gastro doc doesn't want him to leave the hospital for another few days, but he's going home tomorrow. I took him to see his family this morning, against the doc's wishes, but we both needed to just get out of there for a while. He needed to see his kids and his gf. I needed some time not being squished into a single hospital bed with him in order to hear the sound on the tv. And the ward smelt funny. Hospitals smell...sick. The smell permeates everything, so we snuck out for a couple of hours, like prison escapees.

We got back to the hospital, were interrogated by the nurses (because he had a bit of a setback yesterday while we were walking around the hospital - and I'm grateful I didn't have to see how much of my first aid I remembered) to make sure he was ok, had lunch, watched a movie, then fell asleep, because that's about all there is to do in hospital.

There was a lot of talk between us about our course. It was decided quite a while back that we'd take group outdoor classes together. It was never specifically said. More like, it was simply a given that it would happen. We'd like to also work with some of the other people in our class, but that depends on who wants to do what once we've completed our first certificate. The last few days have brought forth a multitude of ideas, a good dose of planning and a ridiculous amount of anticipation. It feels great.

The frustrating this is, I'm home now and once L gets out of hospital, he's going to Qld for a week, so I'm at home, still buzzing with ideas and wanting to just talk about things - to anyone, but I can't. All I have to do is get through the next couple of weeks till I start getting a regular income again. After that, it feels like things are good and positive and starting to fall into place.

Tomorrow, I'm going to a Christmas Eve orphan's party with a bunch of people from my social group. It's all of us who are not celebrating with our own families. Between those people and the people I've met in my course, I have some truly fantastic people in my life right now. For that, I'm grateful.

I've never been a fan of even numbers, but, corny as it sounds, 2008 looks like it might be the start of some really great things. I'm hoping.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can talk to me... I've done your course already, after all :)

3:33 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Hey, when you gonna be here anyway?Got any details? I'm going to have to start counselling all your belongings about the readjustment, since you've been away so long.

8:00 am  
Blogger SJ said...

I'm about to head to Minneaota for New Year. I'll be back here the fist week of January, so I'll have a better idea then.

Sorry you've had the stuff so long - if it turns out for any reason that there's going to be further delays in my coming there I'll make arrangements to have the stuff shipped here :)

8:35 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

It's cool. It's all in my storage unit, so it hasn't been any trouble. It can stay there as long as you need.

9:28 am  
Blogger caro said...

I'm glad things are going so well. Sounds like you've meet some really great friends and I know how rare and precious that can be *hugs* Here's to 2008!

10:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home