Thursday, December 20, 2007

All sorts of random stuff

In order of appearance in my head at this moment.

I did really well in my first aid assessment last night. I should be quite happy, but I didn't get 100% so I'm annoyed. I may sit the test again just to get 100%. That's how much it's bugging me, and I only missed a couple of questions.

Yesterday, I stood up on a very packed tram so a pregnant woman could sit down. Pregnancy freaks me out, but I haven't lost my manners. The same can't be said for all the businessmen who would not move out of the way. Especially not the one who waited for another woman to stand up, then sat in her seat so I had to stand in the aisle knocking people with my books and backpack. I'm sure his next business meeting went badly, coz that's how things work.

My study partner is in hospital. I was running late for class yesterday as I finished a temp job late. I called him to ask if he'd run to buy me a coffee and he said he'd been in hospital two days. He has GI problems and I'm not going to post the name of the condition, but the docs don't know if it's that or his appendix. Each time they get close to running confirmation tests on him, he gets pushed behind emergency patients, because he's not in much pain (now). He wants me to go visit him tomorrow, so I will. He's a good kid.

I had an interview on Monday for a large financial services firm. In fact, I had an interview with the HR girl last Friday, then another on Monday with a partner of one of the divisions. It went really well and they did reference checks. They took three days to decide between me and one other girl, then chose her. The upside - and I'm choosing to see it - is that the HR girl said she really wants to place me in their company, so she'll look at where else she can put me after the Christmas break. Positive, but not ideal.

I'm about out of money, as I've refused to tap into my credit. The last two days I've done temp work for shitty money, but it's money and the jobs were pretty much just answering phones, so it wasn't hard. It was good to work for really professional people, though. The surprising thing was the amount of trust they put in me. Both companies gave me access cards, access codes, passwords and other information.....then left me to my own devices while the entire staff went off to Christmas parties off site. In fact, on Wednesday, nobody from that company came back, so I was left to close the office by myself. I temped for that company for a few months about 7 years ago (coincidence huh), so some of them knew me, but still...

The weather was incredible today. I haven't seen rain or heard thunder like it in a long time. And lightning! Wow! I was on the top floor of a building that faced the ocean (Ian, you should see how Docklands has grown!) and I could not see out the windows. Two trams got hit by lightning this morning. As I walked past the train station in the city this afternoon, the cars were having to drive incredibly slowly, because the water was flooding the road - the water level was up to the top of the tyres of some cars. Amazing!

Um, what else? Oh yeah, starting 2 Jan, I might be doing collections temporarily, for a property company, till I find something full time. I've done it before, so it doesn't bother me and I know it won't be forever. I have a meeting with the company tomorrow, so I can be introduced to the people I'll be working with. I'm not sure why they're doing that, but if it means I get the job, I will meet anyone they want. They're also paying me way more than the going rate. The lady from the agency - boy does she need a Christmas present from me - told them that I was to be paid a certain rate, because that's what I was worth and they said fine.

Oh, and my dad has been down here the last couple of weeks, so I've hung out with him a couple of days I haven't worked. That's been good. He's doing Kokoda next August and I think I'm going to go with him if I'm physically and financially fit enough. That would be an experience!

I'm sure there's more, but that's it for now. I'm tired and need some sleep.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's Kokoda?

Not like December weather in Melbourne to be like that - normally it's too hot to not be naked all the time :)

When do you qualify as a GI? Feb? That's not too long away, and you could get a job as a GI after that...

12:07 am  
Blogger Mel said...

Ummmm...yeah.
What's a Kokoda?

And buy that lady a nice little somethin'--A cute little sock with fun stuff in it!

Poor study partner--hope he gets some reprieve from what's ailing him, soon!
*hugs*

1:52 am  
Blogger Angela Noelle said...

Goodness but you've been busy!!! Good luck on the job front--I've always found that things have a way of working out when you really need them to. And I hope your study partner improves... that's sad about the hospital stay :(

5:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home