Thursday, November 01, 2007

My body is changing (boys look away now)

No, not in that weird, teenage OMG-what's-happening-to-me way. More like an OMG-I'm-getting-old(er) way.

Way back in the day, before the docs started finding things wrong with my girl bits, I never had issues with PMS. No moodiness, no pain. Hmm, ok, there was probably moodiness, but I couldn't tell, because frankly, I could probably say I was in a constant state of moodiness till my mid 20s, for various reasons.

After the first couple of operations, I started getting all the pain type symptoms; more back pain etc. The mood swings also became more evident. For the last year or so, I've been taking Vitamin B6 and it makes a big difference. I feel a lot more balanced and deal with things more calmly than I do when I don't take it.

However, w.i.t.h.o.u.t f.a.i.l I've started getting a headache about 12 hours before I'm due. I know one Thursday each month is gonna really suck. Yesterday, Wednesday, at work, I was fine. I got up at 5.30am, drove to work early, caught the train to an interview in the city (which seemed to go very well), caught the train back to work, was productive, had lunch and all was well. Just after lunch, it all went downhill. The headache came on almost instantly and I lasted as long as I could, but left work early and was in bed by 5pm. Combined with the change of weather hayfever, comprising a runny nose and red eyes I've had all week, I haven't exactly been a Miss Universe contender.

I spent most of last night and today in bed either too hot and sweating, or too cold and sweating. If this is an age thing and stuff like this is going to happen more often, I'm not really liking the idea all that much. A lot has happened in the last 5 years. And it's gone incredibly quickly. In another 5 years, I'll be 40. I really would like for the next 5 years to go twice as slowly as the last ones, because I'm not too keen on being 40 if my body is doing weird shit already.

Of course, my office could not do without me for a single day and I got woken up by a phone call to sort something 'urgent' out. Eh, I sat up in bed long enough to send a few emails....that could have waited till tomorrow, but my dumbarse boss was being an uninformed jerk and the universe was in a panic. My temp was also not at work today. She called in sick, too. All my assistants have had time off in their very first week or so. I keep telling everyone that the desk they sit at needs to be feng shui-ed or exorcised. I hated that desk and asked to move within my first two weeks. I haven't decided if I did myself a disservice, or not, by doing that.

At any rate, a weight has been lifted from my shoulders (and mind, and everything else) since I've resigned. I can concentrate on what comes next, now, rather than how to deal with the stupidity that currently surrounds me from 9-5 every week day. My boss and our HR department still have not contacted me in any way or acknowledged that I've resigned. So professional, huh.

Now, because I'm feeling old and slightly invalid, I'm going to take some pain killers, make a nice hot cup of tea, put a blanket over my knees and watch the 5pm news.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Oh yippee.


Frankly, it sounds darn familiar--this headache before the hot/cold adventures.
NOT that I'm experiencing any of them MYSELF. I'm too dang young for that kinda stuff....

*rolling eyes and coughin*
k....that mighta been a lie.......

12:23 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Oh yay, it's familiar. That means it's common. I can't wait for what comes next. Detecting sarcasm? :p

10:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home