Saturday, October 20, 2007

Gee, thanks!

I went to the local GP today, because, despite my denial at the time, I think I broke two of my fingers on this fateful day. Over time, it's felt uncomfortable at times and there's a nice little bump on the side of my middle finger, next to my first knuckle.

Uncomfort is starting to turn to real hurt in my entire hand. It's literally been waking me up in the night and I've had trouble bending my fingers each morning. Once I've bent and stretched them a few times, it's fine, but the pain is still there.

So I thought I better get a referral for an x-ray, to see exactly what I did to myself. When I originally tried to make a sandwich of my hand, I could still move everything, so I figured I didn't break anything. The fact that my ring and middle fingers were black for weeks (my fearless offsider from my last job wouldn't even look at them) and everyone said they appeared broken wasn't enough to entice me to a doctor. Until today.

I got my referral and asked the doctor what he thought would be the next step once the x-rays came back. He said to just use anti-inflammatory cream. Ok, but that wasn't the question. If I did break my fingers, in particular the middle one that current hurts like a bitch most of the time, is there anything that could be done to fix that and perhaps alleviate the pain in the longer term? An operation? A pin? Physio? Anything?

The answer from the wise old one? "I don't know." That's right. Even after prompting for more information, I got the same response. I don't know. I'm so glad we have free health care, coz I would have been pissed off to pay for that gem of a reply. I hope to have the x-rays done on Monday, but you can be sure I'll be taking them to another doc to see what can be done from there.

I tend to not hurt myself very often, but when I do, I do it well. Rest assured, next time, whatever it is, I'll cut the denial crap and take myself to get checked out. Having my hand hurt so much is not just a literal pain, it's an inconvenient pain, too. Lesson learnt.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

"I don't know?"

Oy geeze.
"Let's wait and see what the x-rays show us." woulda been a wiser and smarter sounding response.

I'm all for a different doc.
And I'm all for doing the responsible thing when we do get an owie that's doc worthy.
(please don't feel the need to remind me that I said that...LOL)

12:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home