Friday, November 02, 2007

Expectation

How ironic that I did a thesaurus search on 'anticipation' and it made me wait a while.

The feedback I've received from the agency lady about the job I went for on Wednesday morning has been positive. Apart from the fact that I'm slightly over-qualified for the position, she thinks I have a good chance. The only real issue is one other candidate who, I'm told, is even more over-qualified, but has worked in the particular industry. The agency lady said she didn't want to get my hopes up, but she was confident about me. She left the guy who interviewed us alone today for some thinking time (cue music) and she'll contact him on Monday to see who he's chosen.

I feel a bit like a game show contestant. Either I'll be singing at the Opera House next week and signing autographs, or I'll be starring in candy commercials during the mid afternoon soaps for the next six months.

Honestly, I know I'll be disappointed if I don't get the job, but the thought of getting it is equally scary. I'll be out of IT and back into a 'regular' job (whatever that is) for the first time in almost ten years. The idea is a little daunting and my lack of confidence, brought about by the bastards I currently work for, makes me second guess my abilities and I hate that. On one hand, it's good, because I'm not allowing myself to get excited about a potential new adventure in an industry that really interests me. On the other hand, feeling the enthusiasm, without getting my hopes up too much, is just the adrenalin rush I probably need.

I'm not sure where the balance is. Regardless, I suppose it comes down to I'll only have to feel this way for another couple of days, then I'll deal with whatever cards I'm dealt.

I got a phone call today from a guy in one of our regional offices, interstate. He knew I'd resigned. How? I don't know. He said a lady from my office told him, but he couldn't remember her name. Word travels. And yet, my boss and my HR department still have not acknowledged that I resigned five days ago. Miss me when I'm gone, guys.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so strange that they haven't acknowledged it... What a bizarre workplace. I wish you the best and just hope it all works out the way it's supposed to. However that may be!

5:10 am  
Blogger Mel said...

*shaking head*
Some people's kids.......

Ya know, I LOVE a good thesaurus!!
Yeah, yeah...sick and wrong, but I like the written word a whole lot, even if you can't tell it from my crappy spelling (actually, it's probably more about having a brain that moves faster than my fingers and straight up laziness...LOL....but don't tell, eh?).

Anticipation, anticipation.....*humming Carly Simon tunes*

12:31 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

This oil company job you're going for.. please tell me it's the kind of oil company where you'll be rubbing warm oil over your writhing naked curves.... ;)

4:13 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

LOL Jones, are you referring to the collective you, or me in particular? Whichever it is, I'm pretty certain that, no, it's not that kind of company. :p

Hey Angela! Yeah, bizarre is one way of putting it!

Thanks Mel for getting odd songs stuck in my head. Oh, I almost went to see Boney M again this week, except I remembered too late they were here.

6:11 am  
Blogger SJ said...

Why, you in particular, of course... what else did you think I was visualising during all those coffee meetings, hmm? :)

Good luck for Monday!

6:23 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

It's far too early on a Sunday morning for me to be thinking about that!

6:35 am  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

I'll sum up my comments from your posts here.

I'm glad you quit. Life is just too short, ya know?

I'll tell you this- I sure am getting a lot of satisfaction from hearing how my old department is falling apart and people had NO IDEA how much I was doing. It would have been nice to be appreciated while I was there- but this is kinda more fun. It's almost as fun as sticking my tongue out at them and saying, "see? NOW you get it".

The other 'stuff' totally sounds hormonal. See your doc about it= maybe there's something they can give you to help with that.

xoxo

8:22 am  
Blogger SJ said...

Since you don't have work right now why not change to the full time 8 week MT course? That way you'll be qualified by the end of the year and ready to start a new career in January?

If I was in your position, I would.

7:50 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Jones, I would if I could! But, I can't afford to not have an income for 2 months. I've thought about it, but I just can't make it happen, unfortunately.

6:18 am  
Blogger SJ said...

You could always sell a lung... :)

7:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home