Thursday, November 22, 2007

Better

I'm ridiculously, insanely busy this week, but things are looking good. I've had three agency interviews this week, another two with companies directly, and a further one booked for tomorrow afternoon. The one I had yesterday was with a household goods distributor. It's a bit of a pain to get to, but would be a good job. They liked me and want to line up another chat in the next week or so. Getting to my course on time from where they're located may prove to be a bitch, but I'll worry about that if I get past the next stage of chatting.

Today's interview was interesting. The organisation is a religious group with political interests (well, that's the easiest way to explain it here). The job would have certainly been diverse, except they're offering around $15+K less than what I'm on now. He couldn't get me out the door fast enough after I told him that. However, he did say they had room to move on the salary. Yeah, methinks not that much. Tomorrow's job is completely different - in the hospitality industry - and it's in the city, so it's convenient in terms of getting to my course two nights a week.

My current job is proving as ridiculous as ever. I've given up trying to train the people I have working with me in any formal way. They decided between themselves that they'll just try to pretend I'm not there and figure stuff out together, with my help if they really get stuck. That should work out better, because it allows me to get some things done that need to be done before I go. I could leave them, but the shit would seriously hit the fan and my telco dealers would be the ones under pressure to sort it out and I don't want to put them in that position.

This week's typical stupidity....nobody told the guy who's come on board to be our second in charge network administrator that he'd be doing telecoms and administration until Christmas time. He found out on Tuesday when he came into the office to do his job and was told, no, he'd be learning my job. He even spoke to my jerk boss in person, last Thursday, and wasn't told. He wasn't told he'd be doing it for a couple of months. He wasn't told there's another person starting mid December that he'll have to train. He wasn't told he'll be training the person who starts in January, but at least he knows her. He's very young and slightly amused by the whole situation. He won't be when I explain to him in the next couple of days the enormity and the critical nature of the tasks I'm working on above the every day stuff, that need to be finalised by Christmas. They'll be pushing it. I feel sorry for him.

My brain is on overload from my course. I remember all the bones and muscles easily, because I learnt all that stuff when I did massage years ago. It's all the flexions, extensions, rotations and medial this, lateral that, what's in bones, what's between bones etc, that has taken longer to sink in, but I think I've got it covered now. We get our first gym session on Saturday, thank freakin goodness! We're all about to go nuts from classroom style learning.

The group is fantastic. Everyone gets along, and in a strange, but nice way, we are spending our breaks together and we chat as a whole group while we're waiting for class to start. There are smaller groups of people who've naturally gravitated to each other, but as a whole, we mesh well. There was a realisation from everyone on Wednesday night that we're all going to miss an entire Summer of Saturdays, so no weekends free for us till the weather is cold again. A small price to pay in the scheme of things, but the initial thought of having no Summer hurt a bit.

Things are looking good. They'll be great if I get a job soon. And the drugs the doc gave me on Sunday are working, so I'm more pleasant to be around this week than I was last week. I'm sure anyone who has to deal with me is happy about that.

2 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

You'll be ready to start training people just as the rain starts to fall :)

So what's the plan - work at a gym or go solo?

12:29 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

I reckon 6am boot camp training on the beach will be the way to go haha. Kick peoples' butts for making me get up in the dark, cold weather, and then have them pay me for the pleasure.

Depends what the cash flow situation is when I'm done with Cert IV. I worked out how many clients I'll need (or at least how many hours I will have to do to get the income I want). It might not be achievable straight away by myself, but it's doable if I start out doing a a bit of both.

12:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home