Friday, October 05, 2007

Goings on

I feel like not a lot is going on in my world, which is rather peculiar, because there's certainly a lot going on in my head. Ok, so it might be that that's just a normal state of affairs.

The building I've been looking at is listed for residential lease at $300 a week. Two bedrooms. The place is huge, but not fantastic. (The place I'm in now is 3 bedrooms, newer, and not a whole lot more per week.) I have searched the net and cannot find the for sale listing. There's nothing I can do about it at this very moment, but I'm going to bug the agent to satiate my curiosities.

Speaking of rent, ours is going up here. So much for moving into this place to save money. It won't be much more, but I hadn't expected it and it's annoying.

Apart from feeling slightly harassed and targetted at work, it hasn't been a bad week, taking into consideration that the last couple of months have really sucked. My absent boss even came through for me unexpectedly. In fact, he bordered on supportive at one stage. I'm taking it as an anomoly.

However, I have to give him kudos for one thing. I'm responsible for everything to do with mobile (cell) phones for my company, across the country. Occasionally, when I distribute a new phone, I'll request that the old one be sent back (for various reasons), or users will send them back of their own accord. As a consequence, I have a box full of working phones that are gathering dust. I also buy more expensive model phones on pre-paid deals to get them significantly cheaper, but keep the pre-paids when I send the phone out - so I have a stack of ready to be activated mobile numbers. My evil mind has thought of ways to use these unregistered numbers to my advantage, but the nice side of me has prevailed - at least in this instance. For now. This is where I admit I've brought one of them home. You just never know when something like that might come in handy...I watch Law & Order.

Aaaanyway, reading my local paper, I came across an article where the local police were asking people to donate old phones so they could be given to elderly residents to use for emergencies. Really, I could have just called the station and asked where to drop them off, but I thought I better get approval. And I thought I'd get knocked back. My boss' response? "Sure, and make sure the phones all have chargers. Give the pre-paids away too." (I have about forty $10 pre-paid cards.) So I like him today.

My offsider and I have worked our respective butts off over the last couple of weeks. (Although, I have to put an aside in here and say he's also been coming in late and having days off unnecessarily - just like my last offsider - so we've had to have some 'chats' about that.) We've somehow managed to get our outstanding job queue down from over 300 requests to less than 30 between us. Bloody amazing and a big surprise to both of us that it happened so quickly. That means the pressure is off somewhat, for the time being. Not a moment too soon, either. It means I can now relax a little more and not feel like I have to be conducting a such a frantic search for another job. Hopefully. I do have a couple of hurdles to leap before I really feel more at ease. The workload is one thing. The environment and management support is another thing entirely.

I'm pleased to report there is no boy news at all. I'm even more pleased to report that it's because I seriously cannot be bothered with any of them. An admittance here that I do email with one intermittently, but we agree that meeting is not a priority. That suits me, because I really don't have time anyway.

I have one more thing to report, but not tonight. I'll keep you in suspense till I have more info. By that time the undertaking that I've signed up for may have sunk in.

Tonight, it's raining heavily. The rain hasn't fallen as hard recently, so the sound on the roof and on my balcony was nice. For someone who was never really fond of the rain as a kid, I'm much more appreciative now of the noise and just the simple fact that it's raining.

I'm surprisingly upbeat.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

:)

Happy hugs!

1:34 am  
Blogger Anonymous G said...

How could you NOT be upbeat, with the sound of the rain?

aaahhhhh...........

xo

10:29 am  
Blogger Mel said...

Okay.

I'm gonna hug your boss.
Seriously. That's an awesome thing he agreed to do.

((((((((( E ))))))))))))

Thanks for being the brains in it all.

11:42 pm  
Blogger caro said...

Upbeat looks good on ya! :) *hugs*

12:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home