Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Snap

Sooo..... the thing I hate most about the culture of my company is that when someone wants to know the progress of something, they won't go to the person who can tell them. They'll go to their boss, or their boss' boss. That does nothing but piss the person off who's doing the job for them. It happens to me a lot, because of the type of people I deal with on a daily basis.

Some email my direct boss, who has not 'managed' me the entire time I've been there. Today, someone went further, to one of the most senior managers. Instead of him speaking to me, he forwarded the email to yet another manager, asking him to sort it out, and copied me in on it. It was unwarranted and was the final straw for me.

So I sent an email back, explaining the situation, but I also pointed out the lack of support our entire department is feeling and asked that we might have a meeting so people could voice their concerns. The two line reply I got back ended with "your response is way over the top". Ok.

At that point, I walked away from my desk. One of the guys later said the only reason he knew I didn't leave for good was that my jacket was still on my chair. I sat on the counter in the bathroom for over half an hour, just trying to think and calm down. A woman from another department happened to come in while I was there and helped to slow my heart rate down. I don't think I've been so angry in a long time.

By the time I got back to my desk, a couple of the guys I work with had made some phone calls and one talked to the guy who sent me the dismissive email. Apparently he's very sorry he offended me and if I want to talk to him tomorrow, he'll be in the office. Whatever. He missed my point entirely.

I said things that everybody else thinks, but nobody wants to say, because none of us think anything will actually change. I took the fall for the group and got exactly the result we expected - nothing. Which proved our point entirely.

I have no idea if anyone told my actual boss what happened. Last time I had an issue similar to this, I forced him to do something about it. This time, I doubt he will. He's part of the problem.

I like my job and I like the people I work with. But I'm not getting paid enough to do what I do completely unsupported. If nothing changes, I'll be job hunting again. I want to keep my sanity...what's left of it anyway. This afternoon was really, really crappy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Oh good grief.....

I hope beyond HOPE that I'm a better 'manager' than this.

Consider the chat with the fella of the email?

As one who says what a lot of people simply whisper about--it's what keeps me sane.
Keeps me with a reputation..LOL..but it does keep me sane.

Eeeeshhhhhh...
*sending peacefilled thoughts*
Bathrooms are great places to cool off, btw......they work well for me until---yeah, well.....g'head and fill in the blank. LOL

10:20 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

How frustrating...

But I'd have to agree that if I didn't get on a soap box at work every once in a while, my head would explode.

2:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry--that's right, that is an incredibly frustrating situation and unfortunately one I've also encountered many times. Good for you for saying what needed to be said, even if it was met with a less than helpful response.

3:33 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

Hmm. I have been in that position several times, and see familiar signs. I don't think you are long for remaining in that job...

6:06 pm  
Blogger Callie said...

*HUGS*

I have a baseball bat?

callie

1:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home