Sunday, April 15, 2007

A good day

Apart from the fact that my bank hid my pay for 24 hours (just a little stressful!), yesterday was great.

I went horse riding again with the girls from my social group. This time, I was given a different horse than the one with the tendency to bite and kick the others. Seriously? I'm going to ask for my original horse next time. She might make me nervous, but at least she has spirit. The boy horse I was on yesterday (and "Skippy" is so not a very masculine name!) did all he could to stay at the back of the group, didn't want to go down the difficult hill trails and basically frustrated me the whole time. Given the option, I'd rather be frustrated at high speed and feel a little exhilaration (and fear, ha!).

We've taken a slightly different route each time we've ridden. This time, they took us on an extended ride. Navigating through narrow bush trails, then breaking into a canter as soon as we could see the clearings....sigh....such an awesome feeling! I'll give Skippy some credit here. He did want to stay at the back of the group on the walks, but the second he got up speed, he was so keen to pass the other horses and get to the front. I felt like I was in a race. It would have been nicer if he wanted to stay at the front and not lag behind on the walks. Anyway, it was fun!

There's a country cafe we go to after each ride, for lunch. They do good food - and great iced coffee. A little expensive, but when you're covered in dirt, smell like a horse, and you're starving, you tend not to care so much what the food costs, as long as it's good. There was a table beside us of about 10 rather senior citizens. One of them was having a birthday and they started singing happy birthday. We joined in. When they sang it a second time, we were confused, but we joined in again. I said maybe they forgot they sung it the first time. (hehe, I'm bad, I know!)

We all went home for about two or three hours before we had to be out at a combined birthday party at a bowling place (which is more like a bar that happens to have a bowling alley connected to it). The thing with horse riding is you feel tired afterwards, but not sore. That comes the next day (today! ouch!). So we got a second wind back with a couple of drinks and some hot food. We played two games of bowls. There was one guy on our team of 6. He won both times. I came second both times. Can't complain about that. My wrist hurts now, though, and I'm a little concerned how it's going to feel tomorrow at work, since it's my writing hand, but nothing that a couple of pain killers won't fix, if necessary.

I don't have a massage/acupuncture booked this week. I might have to change that. The pain is worth it, though. I feel good for being out and about. I realised yesterday that I was somewhat glad I didn't have a boy to think about, because I didn't have time to think about one. Maybe that's the key.

5 Comments:

Blogger thyst said...

Not having time to think sounds like an excellent option!

3:32 pm  
Blogger caro said...

I love reading about your riding adventures and the pictures are just gorgeous! Makes riding out here seem like a guided pony ride at the petting zoo, haha!

Hope you aren't too sore, but if you are, it sounds like it was more than worth it *hugs*

11:33 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the pictures!!!

I really need to get out and about and do something different. Maybe not ride a stubborn and challenging horse, though!! Hee hee.

Sounds like a terrific way to clear your mind and refresh the spirit! ;)

3:51 am  
Blogger Mel said...

Ohhh.......but he had perky little ears!

How wonderful--I could use some 'no think' time myself!

10:25 am  
Blogger SJ said...

Next time can we have a photo of you leaping a gorge? :)

3:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home