Friday, March 30, 2007

No title

At 3am this morning, I knew exactly what I wanted to say. Now, I don't know where to start.

I mentioned not long ago that my niece in Italy was going through a hard time. In point form...
  • her husband has a diagnosed mental health issue that his family choose to ignore
  • he's violent towards my niece and their 4 daughters to the point of putting her in hospital twice now
  • he's threatened to kill himself if she leaves
  • his family say my niece should put up with it, because he's her husband
  • he's threatened to kill her if she wants to leave
  • she can't bring her daughters back here, because they're Italian and she needs his ok to let them leave the country
  • she needs somewhere to stay - now
  • her inlaws have taken away her car and all financial support
  • she's been offered a place to stay, but that won't be till later in May
  • the AU consulate has put her in touch with a lawyer, but she has to pay.
Rental properties in Italy don't come with all the required conveniences. You even have to buy your own oven etc. She has no resources to do this. My mum is over there now and apparently behaving really well and being as supportive as L needs her to be. While she was with L, L's husband was on his best behaviour. Mum went to another part of Italy for a few days and T put L in hospital the next day. Mum is back for a few days, but she's going to England to see some relatives. When that happens, L's on her own.

She needs $3K euro just to get out of where she is and to pay a lawyer. She has an AU bank account that her husband and inlaws don't have access to. My sister - the crazy one; her mother - does. I told L I would personally go and break all my sister's fingers if she touches one cent I put in that account to help L. L said she'd come here herself and do it.

But I don't have anywhere near $3K euro to give her. I can sell some things, but I don't think I have enough 'things' to sell.

I guess I'm after ideas. This just sucks beyond words. I can't think straight.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Oh geeze.
I'm truly sorry, E.

I know so little about 'laws' and 'rights' outside of the US's ones.
No shelters? No battered women aide? What about the ability to get the fella committed for help with the mental health issue--certainly after hospitalizations there's enough to get the fella some additional help? While the tendency is to keep it hush-hush, the more people are involved, the greater her ensured safety is....you know that, right?

*sigh* I wish I knew more--had more to offer.....cuz I know that sick feeling that comes with the fear and helplessness.

((((((((((((E)))))))))))))

9:47 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

I'm certain that's bullshit about needing his ok to take them overseas. Italy is part of the EU, it's not Iran.

Something she could try is to get them naturalised as Australians, since their mother is an Aussie citizen - all it takes is a form and a small fee. Then she could maybe take them all to the Aussie embassy one day when he's out and ask for protection, a place to stay, and help to return them all to Australia. If she has to she renounce their Italian citizenship - they can get it back at a later date when they turn 18, and not having it for a few years is better than them coming to harm.

10:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah shit, that's horrible. :(

SJ - He does need to give permission for the kids to leave the country because both parental sigs are required on the passport application form (if proof of divorce/separation cannot be given). Usually. In this case it *should* be different because of the abuse.

It makes it tough, but the AU Embassy over there SHOULD BE DOING SOMETHING to help out, other then telling L she can have a lawyer but pay for it herself.

Seriously consider contacting Today/Tonight or A Current Affair. Particularly since the AU Embassy is involved, they'll be all over it like flies to honey because clearly the Embassy is NOT doing its job. You may find alot of open hearted people in Australia who are in a position to donate money to help get your neice out of there.

8:03 am  
Blogger SJ said...

Didn't I always say you'd end up on Ray Martin? :)

5:05 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, that is a real stinker. I can't believe there aren't resources available somewhere...

Yep, both parents' permission required in the US too. If I got stationed overseas, idiot Tom would have to actually say he agreed even though we were NEVER married, he has ZERO custody, and doesn't pay child support. Ain't that a winner? I fully expect to have to go to court, should that happen.

8:45 pm  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

Wow, that's a lot to worry about- especially when they're in another country.

I have NO ideas, but I do have my thoughts going your (and their) way.

xoxoxoxo

3:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home