Saturday, March 31, 2007

A glimmer? (updated)

I was out with some friends to see a matinée of Miss Saigon today (awesome, intense, emotional, funny, sad, definitely recommend!) and afterwards we were discussing my niece's situation.

My mum is with my niece right now. She's on her way to England to see some relatives. I have to confirm it, but we think L and her daughters may be able to travel in Europe without visas and passports. Anyone know if this is correct? If it is, they can at least get out of the situation and go from there. It won't solve the problem, but it would get her out of immediate physical danger and would ensure the in laws can't keep her kids from her.

We also think she may be able to apply for Australian passports (or citizenship, or anything of that nature) for the girls without T's signature. I have to make some phone calls.

This is just so surreal.

Thanks for the comments and thoughts. I appreciate it.

I spoke to L and my mum last night. L says mum is being great. My interpretation was that mum has her hands over her eyes and ears and is going, "lalalalalalaa". Being supportive is one thing. Doing something to help resolve the situation is another. Mum's probably not the best person to do that, but at least she's there for another 10 days. It's something.

As much as I tried to be positive, I didn't like what they told me. Apparently, all of L's inlaws have suddenly had a change of heart and her MIL apologised to her for the way they've been treating her and has withdrawn the threat to take the car and financial support away. This is good, but I can't help wondering why the overnight change?

The question wasn't asked, but it was implied that the family were worried about her taking the children away and that's why they were being so nasty. Backward logic, to me. She told them she didn't want to take the kids away. I told her that it doesn't matter what you *want*. When your physical security, and that of your kids is at risk, you do what you have to do. She understood what I meant.

The kids all have papers to allow them to travel through Europe. I told mum to make sure L gets their birth certificates from the council before she goes to England. I said I don't care if the family is being nice and the situation has calmed down, she needs to be fully prepared for it to get worse again. I told her to document everything and get all the paperwork from the doctors that they can about her injuries (mum says L's face is still bruised) and her husband's mental illness. Thankfully, I convinced both of them to do the things I said.

The girls all go to an expensive private school. The police advised the nuns of the situation and the nuns have said L doesn't have to pay the new school fees in September. When the lawyer found this out, he said that if the nuns were doing that, he couldn't, in good conscience, ask her to pay his ridiculous fees either. The other good news is that L was offered a job, to start Monday. It's the first job she's had in 8 years and it will be good for her self esteem. The police have also advised her bosses of the situation.

One thing I wanted to smack my mum over was that she seemed to think it was a good thing that one of the police was interested in L. I said that was not a good thing and she did not need any more complications right now. Mum kinda backpedaled after that, but still... Geez!

I'm so torn. The police can't issue an AVO or an RO unless the situation gets worse. Stupid. T is staying at his brother's house till L moves out in May. There's nothing stopping him going home any time. Mum said L has locks on the doors and that would give her a chance to make a phone call. Big whoop-dee-doo! I should point out that L lives in the same house as the in laws and the grandmother. They all have separate living areas. This has not stopped T before. Locks on the doors won't stop someone who wants to get in bad enough.

I'm glad L has a new job and she's excited. I'm glad her MIL has had a change of heart. I'm glad the police have explained the situation to all the relevant people. I worry that this is just another calm before the storm. L will do all the things I've asked, regarding getting information and paperwork together. I'll do what I can about getting money.

A couple of friends from my online social group have offered to give me some things they don't use, to sell and get some money together. These are people I only just met in November. I'm so glad I know the people I know.

I don't understand why mum is encouraging L to stay. Actually, I do. She stayed and look what happened to us. I do not want the same for my niece and damned if I'm going to let that happen to her daughters. Uprooting their lives while they're still quite young is better than waiting. They'll adjust. Mum said bringing them back here might cause big trouble and there could be extradition issues (pleeeease!!). I said it's better than waking up in hospital or ending up dead.

5 Comments:

Blogger caro said...

I'm so sorry, sweetie! I can't imagine having to see someone you love go through this and not really being able to do anything about it. Praying for a miracle...

(((((((E)))))))

3:42 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hang in there. Can't be easy to have to sit and wait. I never understood why people stay in abusive relationships, but then again, I've never really been there.

8:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God I hope it all goes right and works out. They all need to be home and away from all of that. *hugs*

9:36 pm  
Blogger Mel said...

She's listening--that's a good thing.

And the mum....just is where she is.

*sending positive thoughts and prayers*
On the drop of a dime, circumstances can change. We'll hope for doors to open so everyone can be safe.

1:22 am  
Blogger Anonymous G said...

((((E)))))

Sending positive thoughts and hoping for the very best for all involved.

1:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home