Friday, February 16, 2007

Phone a friend

I don't like politics. I especially don't like politics at work. My company is huge. My job, technically, is national and where suppliers are concerned, that makes me a key person.

Unfortunately, when I started there, I came into the middle of a political dispute between our company, the country's major telco, and a national reseller of their business (phones, data, etc). It's come to a head recently, and because my boss has been seconded to another project offsite, indefinitely, I've had to make some decisions I would have preferred to delegate.

Based on some information I had on Wednesday afternoon, I made decision to have the telco supply us with some stock I urgently needed. I'd been told the reseller couldn't deliver what we wanted. OMG! What a drama. Telco called my boss. Telco called reseller. Reseller called my boss. Reseller called me. My boss called me. Everyone was in a flap. All this happened between 5pm yesterday and 8.30am this morning and I was unaware till I listened to the frantic messages on my voicemail.

The situation was made better, because I had a 9.30am meeting with the telco and the guy was bringing the stock I'd asked for. At 9.15am I was told not to accept it and I had to order it through the reseller. Somehow, I managed to fill half an hour with the guy and basically made up stuff to talk about and tried to get more information out of him about the politics that had been going on.

At 10am I received an email from the reseller to say TWO of them were coming into to deliver the stock to me and they'd be there soon. Sigh... at least I got my hair done last night, with all these people coming to meet me!

Shortly afterwards, they arrived and I learnt even more about what exactly has been the situation and how it's gotten so sticky. I think I have all three sides covered now.....probably more than anyone else.

At the end of the meeting, reseller dude #1 asked me if there was anything else I wanted. "Well, I could do with a new phone...." Talk ensued about my lifestyle and what I needed in a phone. "Ok then, if you happen to receive a (cool new) phone in your next order of (contentious stock), don't send it back...." Niiiiiice!

I've done such long hours this week and I'm ridiculously tired. Weary in my bones. It's almost midnight now and I have some work to do for a private client I have (that I'd forgotten about during the week). I'm being picked up at 7am tomorrow morning to go camping with the boys from work for 3 days. Now there's one other girl going, so at least I'll have some female company. She's bringing her boyfriend, though, so I might take a book or two.

I still haven't fully packed. Hopefully, I'll be able to sleep for some of the 4 or so hours it'll take to get where we're going.

There's a movie on tv right now called Atomic Twister that appears to be about a tornado that hits a nuclear power plant. Call me over-analytical, but wouldn't they not build a nuclear plant somewhere there might be the chance it could get blown to bits in a storm? Maybe I'm too practical. Could be why I work in IT and not in the movies.

Back Monday...or Tuesday. Depends how tired I am. True camping. No conveniences. It could get interesting.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

At least you can't claim to be bored on the job?

Ah yes.....politics and territories are something I got a good taste of myself yesterday.
Small wonder I'm scratching my head and asking myself "excuse me, but what in the heck did I just wander into".

I won't get a new phone outta the deal though, dangit..LOL

12:46 am  
Blogger grrltraveler said...

Have a fun time camping! It sounds like good fun. Better than the excitement going on at work anyhow. I hate office politics!

xo

10:31 am  
Blogger Anonymous G said...

How was the camping trip?

....Photos?

12:08 pm  
Blogger Mel said...

*frowning*

They don't have hungry bears over there, do they?

*waiting patiently*

2:07 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

Did you get bitten by anything crawly? Or slithery? Did you loiter within-tent haha :)

10:57 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

I'll just tell you we pitched my tent right at the bottom of a wombat run and a cow came to visit. You'll have to wait for the rest of the story and photos. ;-)

11:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home