Monday, February 19, 2007

Dusting off the dirt

I'll post more tomorrow about my camping adventures - and it was an adventure. For now, just a few pictures. The rest, I'll put up on my photo blog in the next couple of days.

Got a bit of heatstroke on Saturday and felt unwell, but I was ok. Sunday, we bush-walked one hill, then another. We went through a cave where we literally had to drag ourselves along on our stomachs like lizards to get out...and ended up filthy from top to bottom. Walked down the hill on barely existent tracks, through blackberry bushes (got the scratches and bruises to prove it). My bottle of water got too hot to drink in the heat and I felt unwell again. We drove our filthy selves back to camp and went in the creek fully clothed. If I didn't, I would have passed out. (Sat and Sun were both over 39C, or 102F.) Stay tuned for the rest of the story.

The first photo is from our campsite. The second was taken this morning. The misty area is where the cold water from the dam is mixing with warmer water from the river.

If anyone was in any doubt about whether this country was in a serious drought, take a look at the third and fourth photos. That is Lake Hume......or, it should be. The third photo shows a boat ramp, with a sign saying boats may only go at 4 knots when the lake is below 10% capacity. Meaning....the boat ramp should be partially under water at 10%. Look at the last picture. All you should be able to see is water.

In the distance, in the fourth photo, is an old rail bridge. That entire area should be under water. It's almost overwhelming to comprehend. It's just....dry. Makes you appreciate how important it is to be saving water.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Welcome back! I'm so glad the bears didn't getcha!

.....holy moley it's really, really, REALLY dry over there....

1:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As usual, some fantastic picture taking my friend. I hope you had some drama with the woodland creatures; I'd love to come back and read how you wrestled a croc, had fisties with a kangaroo, leapt 2kms in the air because of a spider... :D

10:15 am  
Blogger caro said...

You survived!

Looking forward to reading more and the pictures are beautiful, but um, I really hope you get some rain or something soon. That is unbelievable!

12:14 pm  
Blogger Anonymous G said...

That second photo is lovely...

Welcome back!

4:35 pm  
Blogger monica said...

Cool beans. TTYL.

7:11 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

That 4 isn't in the centre of the circle. How annoying is that!

7:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home