Saturday, January 27, 2007

Booked in!

There's a discount bookstore just down the road from where I work. We drive past it every Friday on the way to the pub for lunch and I keep saying I have to go in and check out what they have.

This weekend, they're having a sale. EVERY book is $4.99. UNbelievable! I spent an hour in there and came out with 15 books. Should have cost me just under $75. Somehow, it cost less than $60! I honestly don't know how, because the girl counted the books out in front of me and I watched her enter it in the cash register. Not that I'm complaining! I got about $435 worth of books for under $60.

My arms were breaking, or I would have bought more. The trouble is, now I have to find time to read them all. I need someone to point one of those laser thingies from MIB in my eyes so I forget there are cheap books near my work. I still haven't finished all the books I bought at the last book sale I went to!

The upside is, I now have good reason to never leave the house again. Well, till the next time they have a sale, anyway. Or maybe to go to work on Monday.

Here's my list (coz I know you really care! ha!)...

The Pyjama Girl Mystery, by Richard Evans
True story of a girl who was murdered in 1934.

Grandmother Wolf, by Patricia Tyrrell
A novel

In the Line of Fire, by Rex Sadler and Tom Hayllar
Stories of Australians at war from Gallipoli to Vietnam

Echoes of ANZAC, edited by Graham Seal
Stories and poems by Australians at war

Chain of Command (the road from 9/11 to Abu Ghraib), by Seymour M Hersh

Down Came the Rain, by Brooke Shields
About her PND.

Desert Children, by Waris Dirie
Her investigation of FGM in Europe. (I also want to buy Desert Flower.)

Tired of Being Tired, by Dr Moses Wong
Maybe reading this will help me sleep! Ha!

Three Day Road, by Joseph Boyden
A novel about WW1

Homeland, by Clare Francis
A novel set in 1946 just after the war.

I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes, by Jaclyn Moriarty
"A fairytale for grownups"

Extreme, by Sharon Osbourne
Her autobiography

Love My Rifle More Than You, by Kayla Williams
Former sergeant in 101st airborne

Minefields and Miniskirts, by Siobhan McHugh
Australian women and the Vietnam war

Hellfire, by Cameron Forbes
"The story of Australia, Japan and the prisoners of war"

Yep. There's a theme among some of those! I know! Sad, but true...military stuff intrigues me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

*scratching head and using calculator*

Ummmm...that doesn't quite add up right.....

*scratching head*

Maybe there was a 'buy ten get a deal' deal?

I gotta say the Brit would enjoy most of those books.
*glancing at 'his' stack*

What's one more?
;-)

1:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh good thing we aren't down there or we'd have probably bought out the entire store. We go nuts up here with book prices (normally $20-$30ea) and usually end up going to Sallys or Vinnies to find ours. I forsee a giant shop on Amazon pretty soon!

10:13 am  
Blogger SJ said...

Sharon Osbourne's autobiography.. what a read that would be

11:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home