Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Not so PC IT

I had a second interview today with a company that, from what I can tell, hasn't asked anyone else back for second interviews. That's a positive. I have mixed emotions about what to think and do if I get offered the job, but I'll cross that bridge later on.

I didn't see the person who interviewed me on Monday. Instead, he had his second in charge and a guy who works in that department speak to me. Considering not one of the three of us prepared in any way, or really had an idea what to ask, it went fairly well. That is, it went well if you are of the opinion that sometimes you gotta be a little politically incorrect to see what the other party thinks and what the company culture is like.

For instance, the conversation included...

Me: So...the women who work here...are they young, old, what?
#2 guy: There's a mix really.
Me: Ok, just wondered coz all the women I work with are in the kids getting married and having babies stage.
#1 guy: Oh, there's a few of those here. [looks at #2] You know whatsherface is um...yeah, her second one....
Me: It's ok. I know this industry is male dominated. I'm just curious.
#1 guy: Do you have kids?
Me: Oh G-d no.
#1 guy: Single? Married?
Me: I'm single [realise that's the first time I've said it out loud]
#2 guy: Single?
Me: Yep single.
#1 guy: Plans for babies?
Me: LOL um noooooo. Oh, but I have two cats...

And then, because none of us really had anything specific to ask, I had them show me around the office and managed to get some insight into what they think about what they do, who they work with and the company overall. As I left, they apologised for potentially painting the job and the company in a negative light. But I just found it interesting. It was good to see the interviewers more uncomfortable about the whole questioning process than I was.

The whole thing had a bit of a 'first day on the job' feel to it, like they already assumed I'd be working there. That has me a bit freaked out. I have a lot to think about now....and a phone call to wait for.

2 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

When he asked if you wanted babies you should have asked him if he wanted to go to the closet with you ;)

8:16 pm  
Blogger grrltraveler said...

Geez, you could get in big trouble asking questions about marital status and 'are you planning on having babies?' here. If you were that kind of person. Maybe it's the same there but they knew you weren't that kind of person. :)

I hope it works out.

hugs,
a

1:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home