Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Organised chaos

For a while it was looking just a lot like chaos. I mentioned that T's company had gone and inconsiderately taken over another company two days before Christmas, and subsequently screwed up all our holiday plans. We had to bring all our plans forward, cancel some and hope for the best with others. He'll still be here tomorrow evening. At least that's one thing I don't have to worry about.

Trying to find accommodation in Tasmania, on Christmas day, for New Years Eve, was about enough stress for me to deal with till Christmas next year. I found one place and relaxed...only to get an email telling me the confirmation email wasn't really a confirmation email and the place was booked and they regretted that they couldn't find me anything alternative.

I swear Tasmania is going to sink next week, because the entire rest of the country will obviously be there on holidays. And the mainland is going to rise an extra metre above sea level and start bobbing around like a cork, because nobody will be here to weigh it down. Finding accommodation anywhere in that state has been a nightmare.

I finally found one place late yesterday afternoon, which the lady described to me as "very basic budget accommodation". "I don't care. If it has a bed and a shower, I'll take it." "Yeah, that's about all it has." "Fine. I need two nights."

So it's a little different to our vision of a country cottage with a big room with fluffy pillows, plunger coffee and a huge spa bath, but at least it has great view. .....Well, I think it has.

At least it's not like another 'budget' place I saw that said something about, "be aware that these rooms have quite thin walls and you can hear other guests in their rooms and the halls and the shared bathrooms...." WTF?! Me no think so!

Yes, our NYE will be spent in a little seaside town where the main attractions are a strawberry farm and a wool museum. Don't get me wrong, I've been to those two places, and they're great...it's just that that's about as exciting as that little place gets. At least we've got beds. That's all I'm worried about.

For a while, we thought we might have to sleep in the car (another long and complicated debacle in itself)......for the entire trip! It's literally taken me two entire days of phone calls and searching the net to change our flights and find places to stay....and let me say, I'm skeptical about some of my choices too. Heheh, nothin' like a challenge though.

Oh man! I just realised....we have to find somewhere to eat on NYE as well. Damn! Better buy a loaf of bread when we get to the airport, just in case.

Our third night will be a bit more upscale, thankfully, and their website says they have "huge bath tubs". I think after two nights in 'very budget' accommodation and two days of doing walks and hikes, we're gonna need a big damn bathtub! Ooh, it has internet too. Yes, being geeks, we're taking his laptop. He thought it would be excessive if we took both, but anything's better than nothing to me! We're pretending we need the laptop so we can download photos. That's our excuse for having to take one. Really, we're just addicted to g00gle.

Night 4 will be spent in a bed and breakfast in the middle of backassward town on the way to nowhere.........but the scenery in the area is amazing...and worth it. I think I'll like where we're staying. But the boy isn't all that sociable in the mornings, so I think I might have to ask that we have our breakfast sent to our room. Can't see him mingling over tea and cereal with strangers at 8am.

Where we're staying on our 5th night almost makes me cry to think about it. I've stayed in that town before. You literally cannot drink the water there (not even to brush your teeth), because of the copper mining. I had no choice. The seaside spa chalets I wanted to book, half an hour away, were all gone. It sounds a little dubious, but the lady I spoke to told me the shack I booked did come with a spa bath. I'm just wondering if we have to bring our own water for that too. Oh, and maybe this is where I should mention the fact that I'm really allergic to sulphur. There's one brilliant reason not to want to stay in a copper mining town. Sigh... Should be fun! hehe!

Our last night looks like it'll be nice though. It's a big old English style 'inn'.

Basically, I've crammed 9 days of travelling into 6, and brought it forward 4 days. I'm tired and impressed with myself.

Afterwards, we'll come back here (to recover) for the weekend, before the boy goes home and starts playing Mr Corporate, which is kinda strange to contemplate since he's a scientist who digs up rocks for a living. I think the part of the takeover that he's involved in will be good for him, career wise, eventually, even if he maybe doesn't see it now.

We're losing a week together, which is a bummer. We briefly discussed me going back over there with him for the week and just doing touristy stuff while he's at work. It's a definite consideration, but we'll see. Maybe if I know I'm definitely being reimbursed by his company for the extra costs we've had to incur for changing all our plans, then I'll do it. Would be interesting to observe him in his natural environment for a week.

I should really be thinking about packing already. Because we're both suckers for punishment, I've planned a day trip for Thursday, which will take us the entire day and into the night to get us there and back. Then on Friday, I'm making him prove his gratitude to me for having done all this rearranging by myself (not easy to do together with a 3 hour time difference and living on opposite sides of the country), by taking me to a chick flick.

Poor guy. You'd think I'd asked him to give me a kidney.... He'll get used to it...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, sounds like you have a lot of well-laid plans, even if they did get changed up quite a bit. I'm sure you two will have fun, and hopefully you'll have lots of pics (or at least lots of things to write about) for when you come back. that is, if you remember the memory card and pack copious batteries ;)

4:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home