Thursday, December 22, 2005

Intermission

Here I am, back home already. It feels like I wasn't even away, because the time went so fast!

The boy met me at the airport early on Saturday morning. It was strange to think that we'd only spent a few days together previously; everything was really easy and comfortable.

He took me down to the beach to watch the sunset on Saturday evening, which was beautiful, then we drove to Fremantle for coffee, before heading back home so he could cook me dinner. I'm not normally big on things that are pretty spicy, but he made a really nice arabic style chicken recipe with rice. Good thing one of us likes to cook!

It took a few hours to drive to the place we were staying. The scenery along the south coast of Western Australia is spectacular. Unfortunately, I only have a few photos for the time being. I borrowed a camera from work, and the guys gave me the wrong memory card for it, so I only took a dozen or so photos before it was full, then the batteries on T's camera died, so all we had was his slide camera....and that was from pretty much the first thing we saw on the first day there. I did buy a disposable camera so I had some photos, but I didn't finish the film, so I can't get that developed yet.

Below are a few of the photos I did manage to get in the Valley of the Giants, on the tree top walk. Before we got there, I was secretly willing myself not to freak out at the thought of doing that walk, but I did surprisingly well.













The boy had forgotten that I don't have much of a stomach for heights under certain circumstances and ended up being quite impressed with me.













I was impressed too, with the fact that I was able to let go of the damn railings long enough to take the photos I did.


















You get a little bit of an idea of the height and perspective in the photo below, where you can see T's height in relation to the trees, but the photos really don't do the area justice at all.














After the tree top section, there's a ground walk and I took some photos there as well, until T's digital camera died. I won't get to see those pics till he gets here next week, if he remembers to bring them.

There are so many other things that we saw, and places we went, but I'll have to post more tomorrow when I'm less tired. I will say now though, that the first thing I did today was go out and buy a new digital camera with a bucket load of extra memory, so I don't go through the annoyance of having no camera on our trip to Tasmania in January.

It's a little strange to be home again, considering just yesterday afternoon I was on the other side of the country being lectured by T not to go too close to the edge of some rocks in case I got swept over the edge into the sea (more likely than it actually sounds!)...but that's a story for later. Anyhow, I'll enjoy the next few days intermission and getting used to the idea of spending almost 3 weeks with the boy when he arrives next Wednesday.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, sounds like you had an awesome time. the pics look very cool -- looks like a beautiful area! glad to hear you didn't get vertigo too badly ;) you know, it's strange to be home again here too, after having been in San Francisco for four months, but I'm slowly getting used to it, hehe. glad you made it back safely, E, and always good to hear from you.

7:14 am  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

Wow! Three weeks? You'll certainly know each other well by then, eh?

PS- there's no way in HELL anyone could get me on that bridge. Although who knows... I was suprised that someone was able to get me on the big shot:

http://www.zuko.com/Cool_Rides/Extreme_Coasters_3.htm

CRAZY!

9:46 am  
Blogger Anonymous G said...

Sounds like you had a great time. (I wanna go to Australia!)

Enjoy your intermission. Can't wait to see how your next adventure unfolds....

xo

3:47 pm  
Blogger consise10 said...

Wow, 40 meters high! My god were your knees weak or what? Well done for conquering your fear and taking such fabulous pics and sharing them with us. Great to hear you had a nice time with your man(boy).

6:49 pm  
Blogger monica said...

Welcome home!!! The pictures are definitely breathtaking... can't wait to see the ones from the next trip.

(You realize I'm mentally plotting out a backpacking trip, right? LOL.)

3:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home