Monday, January 10, 2005

Not so quiet weekend

I really was expecting to just chill out over the weekend and relax at home for a change. We were going to meet friends for lunch on Saturday, go home, watch dvds and do some work in the garden on Sunday.

After a pretty late night Friday, I had to get up early to go see Dr Fun-Killer and didn't so much get lost on the way as much as I sorta took the scenic route, and still managed to only be two minutes late. I've never been to where he is from C's place before, so it was a bit of an experiment.

I rushed home and got there exactly when I said I would (since I'd worked out how to get home without taking a tour on the way), then, after changing my clothes three times (no, not a chick thing - nothing fits me right anymore, so things are starting to look funny on me), we hightailed it into the city to meet some friends for lunch.

But, C, bless his little cotton socks, got the days mixed up. He'd invited friends of his to have lunch with us and meet another friend of his they hadn't seen in a while. Somehow, C got it into his head that the friend had told him Saturday, but I'd remembered he'd said the 9th. Figuring C and his friend had had a couple of conversations about meeting, I assumed they'd worked out they were talking about different days. Um...no. So, we waited and had lunch with the first couple, C rang his friend after he hadn't turned up after an hour or so and he's like, "No, I'll be there Sunday".

That meant we had an afternoon to kill. C needs to buy a rug for his lounge room, so we decided to walk to a big warehouse rug sale that was on. We walked from Federation Square to the Melbourne Exhibition Centre. Do not try this in anything other than comfy walking shoes! Particularly, don't try it in a pair of Harley Davidson dress boots with chunky three inch heels. It's a good couple of kilometres, I think.

While we were there, we found a sale on cds, books and other 'stuff'. There were thousands of cds on long tressel tables. Of course, they were in no particular order, so we had to walk up and down for aaages. I found a couple I liked and eventually settled on a 3 Doors Down cd that was half price. I was over it all by then, being that I hate shopping at the best of times, but C, in his comfy shoes, was still searching, so I checked out the books. They had some great stuff there. I picked a book that I can't remember the name of. I started reading a bit on Saturday night. It's a bit of a difficult read in the way that it's written, but it's interesting, so I'll see if I can struggle through it.

I'd been to gym on Friday afternoon, so by the time we finished walking up and down aisles looking for cds and books, I was about ready to rip my legs off. Not to mention, I was carrying all my crap and some of C's in my handbag and it was so heavy, I had big red marks on my shoulders. But we hadn't finished.

Next stop was the rug sale - finally. But, spare me! They had bedding, clothes and shoes as well! He needs bedding. I need clothes. I started looking around for a wheelchair. There was no bedding we liked, but then again, I wasn't in the mood to like anything at that stage. I did find two tops for the huge price of $14 altogether (hey, it was a warehouse sale!) and I was marginally happier.

I think we looked at every damn rug under the sun. If we had had measurements with us, it may have been more productive..... Anyway... By that time, I was literally dragging my handbag on the ground and asked if we could please go home now, so I could die peacefully. We stopped walking half way back to the car in an effort for me to regain some feeling in my feet and legs.

ALMOST FIVE HOURS! That's how long we walked around for! Neither of us could believe it.

We got home and just read on the couch for a while. Well, he read and I fell asleep.

Sunday morning, we thought we were going back into the city to see the friend we originally set out to see, so we got up early again. We didn't get a phone call, so we went for a drive to Marysville instead. I've searched for about 20 minutes to find a website, or even an example of the artwork that we saw. We went to a place called Bruno's Art and Sculpture Gallery. His stuff is amazing. C took a whole lot of photos, so I'll get him to email me some, so I can upload them some time. This guy has a regular gallery of art and sculptures. Some fantastic stuff. It's funny. We were impressed with it, but we weren't blown away like we'd been expecting to. The place had been recommended to us to visit, and although it was great, we wondered what was so amazing. Till we went outside.

At the back of the gallery was the most amazing rainforest garden and he'd made lifesized statues and sculptures and placed them all around the place. Some, he'd worked into trees and logs that were already there, like putting human features into a tree or rock. Some of it was quite Tolkein. Others were Indian, middle eastern, fairies, animals and all sorts of things. Everywhere we looked, there was something amazing to see. If you scroll right to the bottom of this page, you can see one of his pieces.

After stopping off to check in on my cats, it was almost 8pm by the time we got home.

I'm tired. I almost didn't come to work today. It was a good weekend, but sheesh, I'm still waiting for a day of rest that's not going to happen any time soon. Sydney next weekend with the girls, then we're going away the weekend after as well.

At least I know where I'll be living at the end of next month. More on that soon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home