Saturday, October 02, 2004

Saturday in the life of...

I literally dragged myself out of bed today. It was mostly self inflicted though (big night in with Ed, to be expanded on in another post), but there was definitely an element of "just let me sleep all day", due to this whole stupid narcolepsy thing I have to deal with.

I had two things to accomplish. The first being a free visit to the naturopath/nutritionist that's aligned with my new gym. After panicking that I was going to be there late, I ended up waiting another 20 minutes to see the guy. I hate that. Book me for 11, see me at 11.

I had instant flashbacks of all my hospital visits. The first thing he did was hook me up to a machine and lie me down on a massage table so he could run some tests. It only took a few minutes, but it reminded me of when I had my first sleep tests and I had to sleep all night with a contraption taking data and millions of spaghetti leads attached all over my body and up my nose. Not pleasant. But today was a breeze - just reminded me of all my health 'failings'.

Three things came out of the visit. My fat content is too high. Duh! See: reason I'm going to gym. I'm dehydrated. Hmm...well that's more than likely a result of last night. In fact, I know it is. And lastly (and my favourite), I'm superhuman! Ha! No, really! Apparently, my cellular energy and my active tissue mass (muscle) is way better than the average woman. In other words, I'm much stronger than I appear. Woohoo!

So I'm fat and dehydrated and bordering on petite, but don't tell me I am, or I'll beat you down with the power of a single pinky finger!

The guy reckons I can be down two dress sizes by Christmas if I do what he says. I'm both pleased and concerned. I'd really like to change my shape and I understand that, because my overall fitness is apparently quite good, I can (according to this guy) lose a fair amount of weight and still be super healthy and strong, but I can see the image of me in my head and I'm picturing a stick person.

My second stop of the day was my health insurance provider. I've been putting off going to see them about an ambulance bill from March and now the collection agency doesn't like me very much. Sorry, but I've had other, more important things to do - like sleep in - than go see my health insurance on a Saturday morning. Besides, my work should have paid the damn bill through their own insurance, since it was their fault I needed the damn ambulance in the first place, but that's a whole other story.

But I went, and they're going to pay the bill, so I can stop screening my calls.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find out that they'll pay for my naturopath visits. A fine thing that is too, since it seems I have to go each week for a month or so, and it's going to cost me $58 a time.

So I did the two things I really had to do today and I'm proud of myself. I'm a true procrastinator, so to accomplish something on a Saturday that doesn't involve the internet or avoiding housework, is an achievement. To accomplish it on a total lack of sleep is downright amazing.

Lots more of today left and I have no plans. It's a great day outside and I probably should drive up to the park or something and go for a long walk, but I'd likely get there and just want to sleep on the grass.

May as well stay here and just go to bed. Less effort required.

1 Comments:

Blogger RisibleGirl said...

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Ok, now that you've pointed it out, that's all I see when I read her posts. Even up to the three exclamation points!

I had no idea you had narcolepsy. Yikes. BJ comments on how much I can sleep. I do like sleeping. I can get up, have 8 shots of espresso and promptly take a 3 hour nap. I get the "sleep is more important than anything else" thing. I love sleeping and I love napping.

I hope you don't mind me peeking into your life. I like reading the "whole" of you gal....
xoxo

4:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home