Sunday, August 10, 2008

Reactions

Remember when I let G stay with me so he could sort his life, business, relationship, mental health? When he moved out, I was relieved to be free of the emotional stress that put me under, because I had enough of my own to deal with at the time. He moved out on the weekend and was living with someone else by the next Friday. His life is still as crazy. He spent some time stalking her over the last few months (and readily admits he was obsessed with 'winning' her back). At the same time, he thinks he's been working towards reconciling and starting over with his ex (who I keep reminding him is not his ex as they are not divorced and they still see each other every weekend). Confused? Eh, not as much as he is.

So I've been storing some stuff in his storage unit, which is literally around the corner from my house, a few hundred metres away. Unfortunately, the woman he was living with and ended up stalking is even closer. In fact, she lives on the street I've moved to, about a hundred or so metres down. Weird coincidence!

He came around today to talk about selling me some of the gym equipment he has stored. That didn't happen. He burst into tears the moment he walked through the door. And a strange thing happened. I didn't want to hug him, or console him, which is quite unlike me. Really, I wanted to hit him on the head and tell him that's what you get when you don't think of the consequences of your actions. I did get to that later in the evening when he'd stopped using all my tissues. But I surprised myself with how little I reacted to his pain. I guess it's because he's been repeating the same dumb things for months and admits I give him the most useful advice, but he's chosen to ignore it.

He sees me as some kind of, I dunno, Y0da-like person who is all knowing, all seeing and he gushes compliments. I'm a bit, "Meh" about it all, because I just see myself as having made some mistakes in life and learnt from them not to do them again, whereas he keeps making the same mistakes and wondering why he's not getting any happier. So I made him watch The S3cr3t dvd. Ha! Then I made him watch a show about juvenile criminals. It was a lesson about gratitude.

Frankly, I thought my Saturday sucked more. I didn't get something I wanted very badly, for reasons I don't quite understand and it left me feeling worse than I have in a long time. He just had to drive past the house of an ex to see me.

Then again, he stayed the night with his (not) ex-wife, got a 4am text from the woman he was stalking, came to my place for coffee and while here received text messages from a 22yo girl from his last job who he assures me he wasn't leading on. Um, yeah, right. I told him to text her right back, apologise for not being honest about his relationship status and tell her he was only in a position to be friends...and he did! Ok, so maybe his confused world sucks a bit more than mine did yesterday. But we react so differently to our circumstances.

I told him the things I'd done in the 24 hours since I got the news I didn't want, in order to improve the situation. He thinks it's amazing that I can do that. I said it's just life. You get hit, you fall down, you get up again. There's not much you can do and see -or be - while your face is in the mud, so you just keep going coz there's no other option. He hasn't hit the ground often enough to want not to experience it again.

We didn't get to the storage unit. I told him he could come back next Sunday, hopefully without tears. I did say if it was going to be another therapy session, then I'd expect to be paid.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Do or do not do--there is no try, eh?

Can I just say how proud I am for you and of you?

Just did.......

10:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a cold hearted woman these days aren't you? :D

12:05 am  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

It's a great day when we discover that the emotional vampires can no longer drain us.

I do believe you have cause to celebrate, my friend, because you seem to have reached that point. :)

3:02 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Personally, I'm surprised to hear he still bends your ear... he just seems so out of sync with where you are, ya know? I don't think his world sucks more than yours. I think you just react to it instead of feeling like a victim... but then, that's jmho...

11:18 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home