Sunday, June 01, 2008

Customer no-service

I saw Ian today, for the first time in...lots of months. I met his jet-lagged self at our semi-regular meeting place and we set out to get food. There are places everyone has where they go all the time, because the service is good and the food is even better. I've been going to such a place regularly for a number of years, so I figured we'd go there and it would be good. The food was good (when is lemon meringue pie not good??). The service was slooooow and with attitude. In fact, probably the crappiest service I've experienced in a long time. I was not impressed and I'm going to call them tomorrow to let them know.

Somehow, whenever Ian and I get together for food, something odd happens. The bad service wasn't odd, it was just bad.

We'd walked into the city to snoop around in one of the more 'exclusive' gyms and after we'd walked back to where we started, we thought we'd stop for another coffee - somewhere else than the first place. I ordered a cafe latte. Standard. Easy. Ian ordered a regular coffee - you know, coffee, water, a little milk. Easy, right?

No, not an espresso. Regular black coffee with a little milk. Hot milk? No, cold. Ah, a long black, with milk? No, not that strong. Hmm, a macchiato? No, you know, coffee like you make at home. Ah, a shot? No. Just a regular coffee, with water, not milk. ....etc etc etc till we gave up and hoped for the best.

It took three staff discussing it between themselves to try and figure out what we were asking for....and they still managed to get it wrong. It just did not compute. We would have been better off ordering a decaf, half shot, frappa-deca, upside down, back to front, skinny caramel latte, in a mug, with a twist of lemon and a marshmallow. People are obviously so used to making the most simple things complicated that you can't get a plain damn cup of coffee these days.

Next time we catch up, we're gonna take a backpack with a thermos of hot water and a bottle of Nescafe to ensure the next cafe staff's heads don't all explode.

But it was fun!

8 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

I reckon we deserve free pie for having to wait so long. You might want to mention that when you call them. We can then go back across the road for my half double decaffinated half caff. With a a twist of lemon, of course. Either that or I'll take along a jar of Nescafe and just order a kettle.

It is 5am and I have been awake since 2.30am. Stupid jet lag.

4:59 am  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

MMMM... lemon meringue pie. I haven't had that in ages and it sounds wonderful.

I've never liked drip coffee in any of coffee places, so I generally order an americano (espresso with water). I wonder if they have those in your neck of the woods, or if americanos are just in America.

OK, now I NEED to know.

6:01 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Americanos are good- I used to get them because they were the cheapest cup of coffee in the fancy dancy places.

I miss coffee. :( Two more months or so.

2:24 pm  
Blogger Mel said...

<-- smirking and sipping a good cuppa coffee

10:11 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I never woulda thunk I'd call Mel a meanie! :P

2:52 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

Ok I just found out what it is... it's a Long Macchiato. And I just burned my tongue on one.

3:06 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

haha! That's what I said to them on Sunday, but they didn't listen to the 'long' bit! :p

...I'm regretting the sushi now. Don't feel too fabulous.

3:09 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

You should have had some of my wasabi. Would have burned the sickness right out of you.

9:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home