Sunday, April 20, 2008

Nature

Last Sunday, I needed to get away from suburbia for a while, so I drove about an hour away into the mountains. I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, because it was sunny and pretty nice outside. There's a 7km fairly steep and winding road that takes you to where I was going. By the time I got to the top of the mountain, rain had started falling lightly.

There was a sign on the main road, pointing to a lookout area in the national park, so I thought I'd take a look. It was raining heavily by that time, when only minutes ago it had been sunny. I got out of my car and it was freezing outside. Fog had come in so quickly, I could not see anything past a few metres. Looking over the edge of the mountain, all I could see was white. But it was incredibly peaceful, and quiet, with nobody around and just the sound of the rain. I didn't stay long, because it was too cold, but it was worth the trip just to be there and be completely at peace for a moment.


I took this photo a week or so ago, from the oval where I take my outdoor classes. This was the sunset just before our session started.

I wish I had a camera with me yesterday morning. The sun came up during our first session. The sky was dark, but the sun was bigger than I think I've ever seen before. It sat just on the horizon as a massive bright orange ball and was truly an incredible sight. Next Saturday morning I'll be prepared and hopefully I'll get a good photo.

7 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

That first bit sounds like the opening scenes of a horror film

4:40 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

LOL you saying I missed my calling? I'll take your comment as a compliment...I think.

5:55 pm  
Blogger Sara said...

MMMmmmm I could go for some of that! Be there in a tic!

9:12 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cool... love it when you post pictures... you have such a good eye for those!

5:59 am  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

This is the one thing I hate about being "a bit" OCD. I have so many rules for myself. For example, I will not go hiking unless my garden has been weeded and all my gardening chores are done. I *LOVE* going out hiking because it makes me feel so rejuvenated. It's good for my soul.

It's SO silly, because the garden can wait.

...well, for normal people- the garden can wait. Not me.

6:27 am  
Blogger Anonymous G said...

Nothing like a hike and some fresh air to clear the head, huh?

lovely photos...

12:39 pm  
Blogger Mel said...

*happy sigh*

What a lovely way to borrow some peace.

(don't hand it back....keep it!)

8:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home