Saturday, January 12, 2008

This and that

Ooooh boy! Hey, Jones, have you ever been to FF Platinum in the city? Holy cow! I got gym lust in there today. I checked it out with another guy in my class on our lunch break today. Man, I've never seen so many spin bikes in one place - or treadmills, or boxing stuff. Geez! There's even security to get in the damn door; the receptionist has to buzz you in. J and I had to sign visitor passes just to be allowed in to look around. We felt dumb when we couldn't find the exit, coz it was hidden behind some indoor plants, but the receptionist says that happens to everyone. We thought it was just a ploy to make people stay longer. Can't find your way out? Well, may as well do some more weights. We escaped with a couple of magazines, just because we could.

Speaking of boys, my brother is still in hospital. He ate and held down his first food a day or so ago, but the doc said something about having clots in his liver so he needed to stay. He was supposed to go home tomorrow, however that's now been changed to Monday. He's not allowed to eat beef at all and I think that's to do with not being able to digest it. I guess he'll tell me the whole story tomorrow when I visit him. (Jones, to answer your question, he did a 7km fun run in 40C heat. He passed out at the finish line and hit his head when he fell. He was so dehydrated that he screwed up his kidneys, liver and did muscle damage. Apparently, he also had some kind of intestinal bug that hadn't shown itself yet, which made things worse - and explains why he couldn't stop throwing up for a few days, even after they hydrated him. He had at least one blood transfusion, because he had hardly any platelets. That's the short version! And I read an article from our lovely major newspaper the other day saying there was no reason for people to drink 8 glasses of water a day. I think I can confidently say that's crap.)

Yet more on the subject of boys. I got a slightly bizarro email from my ex study partner's girlfriend, asking me what my feelings for him were/are, because she thinks I would make a better girlfriend for him than her and she couldn't do everything for him that he needs, but I can. Very strange. I replied that I didn't think that was a good plan (in a nicer, more diplomatic way). We exchanged a couple more emails. They're both still talking to me and each other (he emailed to let me know she told him she'd emailed me), so I guess it's all good. Just odd. Well, it's not all good. They have a number of things to sort out. I've just been taken out of the equation and that bit is good. Like I need to get into something that complicated!

Work is......aaaaaaaarrrrgggh! I have no idea how people do the same job, exactly the same thing, all day every day, indefinitely. I stuffed up a bank deposit slip, so my banking was out the other day by a couple of thousand dollars. It was easily fixed, but I was pissed off that I made a mistake - my first. Considering I've been having to balance a couple of million every day, and I've never even done this kind of accounts before, I was impressed with my run of no mistakes. That's one side of the job. There's also a lot of things that are super labour intensive. I have no idea who came up with the ideas and I've shown them ways to make life easier already, but damn, there are things I would have thought could be done with a press of a button in their accounting program, but noooo it's done in an excel spreadsheet and takes days to complete. Eh, I'm getting paid and that's what matters.

The people are nice. It's definitely going to be like leaving a full time job when I do leave. Temping a day here and a day there, despite having to learn whole new systems just to get by for 8 hours, is much easier. I'm a bit indecisive about what I want to do now, with regards to working full time - or not. I need to find a balance between earning enough money to survive, having a job that will provide that, getting experience in a gym (which won't provide the money yet), studying, and doing everything else I need to do each week, without burning out. It's been on my mind in the last week and I haven't come up with a solution yet. I'm confident that solution will present itself soon, whatever it is.

My diet at the moment is all out of kilter and I'm not sure why. I'm not interested in eating meat, nor do I really care for chocolate or much processed sweet food right now. I'm eating a lot of fruit and yogurt, some bread, and a whole lot of gluten/wheat/lactose free stuff. Maybe it's the heat, but it doesn't even occur to me to eat things I would normally eat. It's not good, because I'm getting tired and losing energy - and putting weight on (or at least not losing any, anyway). I don't know how to get around that right now. My life is a little unbalanced at the moment, so I suppose it's just manifesting in different ways, food being one of them. It's just frustrating.

I'm tired and can't think of whatever else it was I had to report, so I'll leave it here. I have a funny pic of how my cat chose to sleep in the sweltering heat the other night. I might post that tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

You have a bit of tendency to hook up with misfits, don't you? ;)

Never been to that gym. Sounds pretty cool though!

5:29 am  
Blogger Sara said...

No wonder I haven't been able to catch up with you lately!! Glad to hear that your brother is on the mend.

HUGS

Sara

5:43 am  
Blogger Mel said...

Holy moly......that fella's lucky he's not in more serious trouble than he is. *sigh* I sure hope he's better at following directions than someonewho'snameshallnotbementioned....*snickering*

2:43 pm  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

Wow- now I need to speed-read so I can find out what happened to your brother. How is he doing now?

7:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home