Monday, January 07, 2008

It's been a long 48 hours

My brother did a 7km fun run on Saturday in 40C heat (104F). He collapsed at the finish line was was taken by ambulance to the closest hospital. They didn't have the correct facilities to run tests on him, so he was taken to another hospital in the early hours of Sunday morning. I'm too tired to go into detail now, but we now know it was worse than what we were told.

He ate breakfast on Sunday morning and, for reasons I can't comprehend, the doctors let him leave, even though he could not hold any liquid or food. I went to see him at his fiance's parent's house last night and he wasn't doing well and was still throwing up. They said they'd take him back to hospital today if he hadn't improved. Not long after I left, his inlaws decided he needed to go back already. They took him to one hospital, which again couldn't do the tests required, so he was transferred to yet another hospital (the 4th and counting).

Now? They think he might have issues with his kidneys because they're still not functioning correctly and he's having a blood transfusion some time today. I'm not entirely sure why, but all visitation apart from his fiance and her parents has been disallowed for the next couple of days, so I can't even go to see him.

My brother is the one in the family who always has the best of luck, lands on his feet, meets cool people without even trying and for whom nothing seems to go wrong. I guess he's a bit like me; when he gets sick, he does it in style.

Any good health thoughts would be appreciated.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Oh gosh, E.......

LOTS of prayers and positive thoughts.

Starting right now.

*hugs to you*

2:59 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

Is this the brother I met? He seemed healthy enough... just goes to show you...

12:58 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Holy crap. That's just terrible! As for the visitation, maybe he doesn't want to deal with mom and sis. Perhaps with his permission, the fiance's parents will be your surrogate parents?

3:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How frightening :( He is definitely in my prayers, and I hope you get to visit soon.

5:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home