Saturday, November 24, 2007

Top of the class

We had our first mini test today. Apparently, we should have known, but nobody told us where to look to find out when we'd be tested, so the entire class was surprised and under-prepared. Like sheep, we panicked together for a while, then decided we couldn't do much about it, so we'd do what we could.

There was 30 minutes alloted to answer 40 questions. I got it done in about 10 minutes and sat there the rest of the time wondering why I'd finished so easily and where I'd gone wrong in spectacular fashion. My result? 39/40! I didn't know I'd retained so much. I was especially surprised to find that everyone else got between 30 and 36. 32 was a pass.

The really peculiar thing was that it made me somewhat esteemed. We had our first in-gym session afterwards and once we were shown the exercises we had to go over, the trainer left and we were left to our own devices. I had half a dozen people, standing in a group around me, asking me to show them how to do various exercises and use different pieces of equipment (good thing I knew how). Dudes, I'm learning, too! I've noticed I'm one of only a couple of girls in the class who'll get up and demonstrate, which I think is a little unfortunate. The others are missing good learning opportunities.

It's not the first time they've come to me for advice, or asked my opinion. It's nice in a weird way. The fun I get out of it also reinforces to me that this is exactly what I should be doing. It's hard, it's a lot to learn, and I don't know anywhere near as much as I should by now (although it's all starting to sink in), but it's so much more 'me' than what I've been doing for the last however many years.

I voted after class. Change is necessary. We'll find out in a couple of hours if that has happened.

3 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

There used to be a soap on TV here called Howard's End... :)

8:15 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

I remember it. Was here when I was but a young lass, too.

Not only little Johnnie's end, but a bunch of his mates as well. I love me a democratic society that proves itself smarter than the govt assumes.

11:07 pm  
Blogger Mel said...

Oh, what a smart one you are!

:-)

8:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home