Thursday, June 14, 2007

It's a lot of work

My Tuesday meeting with the CFO was put off till yesterday afternoon. I can't say I was looking forward to it. When it came time to actually talk about everything and lay it all out, I had so much to say that I didn't know where to start. I think my first sentence was something like, "I really wish I had something positive to say, but really, I just want to see the light, because there isn't any right now..." That got the ball rolling. The outcome wasn't entirely what I wanted, but better than I expected...or maybe I'm just waiting to see what happens from here.

On the plus side, I'm being given a full time offsider. Travis has not been able to put in as many hours as I've needed, but I did offer him the job. I had to and I'd like him to be able to take it, but I don't think he will. He has too many other things going on in his life and would find it difficult to commit to a full week. I need consistency and I need support, so it looks like I'll have a new offsider soon. I just have to find the time - make the time - to write up a position description for the agency.

I said I hated the fact that I constantly feel like I'm trying to catch up and not getting done what I need to get done. I said I would not pay my offsider peanuts - I want someone competent. I also said I could go work in the city and get paid more than $10K+ more to be a PA and have less stress. I explained that the feeling in our dept is every man for himself and that because we have no boss on site, we have nowhere to go for support and that when we do, we don't get it, because he's not in touch with what's going on day to day. I wasn't as harsh as I'd intended to be, but I made my displeasure on a number of issues known. Every point I made was written down by the CFO.

At the end of the discussion, I leaned forward across the desk and said, "So, what exactly will you be getting back to me on?" Yep, ballsy (for me), but surprisingly well received. Now I just wait to see what's delivered.

Our boss was in the office this afternoon. He barely even acknowledged me. I wasn't surprised.

At least when I have the appointments with the agency staff for my support person, I can have a chat about them putting me back on their books, too. Interesting times ahead...

2 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Ohhhhhhhh..a full time offsider!

Hey......sounds like some things got heard and that's a good thing.

2:39 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, it sounds like there's at least potential for improvement... that's good, right?

My bosses pretend to be magnanimous leaders, but rarely, if ever give me the backing to effect necessary changes.

10:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home