Sunday, March 11, 2007

Split personality

I didn't think I'd hear from him this weekend, but we had a very domesticated two days. Strange.

There's a local yearly festival in the city. It's a bit dorky and really for families and kids, but he suggested we go check it out. He got the train and I drove into the city and met him there. After walking up and down the river and not finding anything that interested us, except we were hoping the water skiers would have a spectacular crash or two (it was mostly rides that were too lame or too scary/expensive to go on), we walked into the city to find food. Didn't find anything there, so we ended up going to a bistro near his place. Next, it was off to the video store to hire some dvds, then home to watch Superman Returns (Zzzzzzzzzz!) on the new projector he bought last week.

I have to buy a fridge, so this morning we went out to a few white goods stores to look for fridges. After that, we did his grocery shopping, bought lunch, went back to his place. Just after lunch, I said I should go home and get some things done around the house. I know I could have just got my bags and left, but he stalled for over three hours, making me drinks, food, watching tv, playing with the dogs...I felt like he really didn't want me to go, even though he has his own things going on tonight.

He mentioned his ex called the other day to let him know she has a boyfriend now. That wasn't what the conversation was for, but he was glad she let him know. Apparently, she doesn't have many friends (valid reasons that he explained) and she's still been hanging out with some members of his family. He's ok with that, but is glad she's now got another focus. There's no animosity there. I'd never really known why they actually broke up, so I asked. He said they were just different and were going down two completely different paths in life. "A bit like me and you", I noted. He agreed. It sorta makes sense to me now why/how he's comfortable with what we're doing. It's what he was doing before, except with the full relationship status.

He acknowledges it's like there's two of him. What he says he wants and how he behaves (generally) are very different. He knows I don't want anything serious because of his lifestyle. He says he doesn't want anything serious. Sometimes, it seems like he does. Having said that, I'm paying more attention to what he says than what he's doing. They say actions speak louder, but in this case, I believe what he says and I'm taking the actions to be simply liking each other's company.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He might have not wanted anything serious in the beginning, but now could be having second thoughts and is too afraid to voice them based on what you want. He might now be developing feelings that are going to head him into disaster if you're not right there with him too... Maybe...

9:13 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Sigh....sometimes I think that. But you'd think he'd have asked my last name or any number of other things, in the last 4 1/2 months, if he was more keen than he suggests. (Time flies, huh!)

The problem is we LIKE each other. Just like. Enough to want to spend time together. Not enough to want more than that. It's weird, really.

Neither here, nor there.

9:36 pm  
Blogger Mel said...

If it's neither here nor there it's celestrial?
I'm guessin'......

*sigh*
Did you tell me not to worry?
Oh yeah.
You did tell me not to worry.
I'm NOT worried.....do I SEEM worried?
Well, I'm not.
...in the leastbit...
Neither here nor there!

2:29 pm  
Blogger monica said...

Things seem to be working just fine as they are...

And there also comes a point where you feel silly to ask a question when you think you should already know the answer.

4:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home