Sunday, February 25, 2007

Tight spaces

I was talking to a woman yesterday about last weekend's adventures. I explained about how steep the cave was, that we climbed through, and how very small the hole at the other end was. She was surprised when I told her we had to lie flat on our stomachs and slide out.

When I mentioned that I was feeling really sick (heat stroke) and ended up covered in dirt from head to foot, she replied that she didn't think she could do something like that, in those conditions.

I told her I had no choice. Whether I wanted to, or not, I had to.

Life is full of tight spaces and we tell ourselves too often that we have a choice not to move forward, because we might not feel good, or we might get a little dirt on our face. What if we told ourselves there was no choice, but to follow through? What's the worst that could happen? You might come out the other side a covered in muck and maybe a bit bruised, but you've also done something you thought you couldn't do.

You might not realise it till later, when you're swimming in a creek with all your clothes on, but when you do, it feels pretty good.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your analogy...and even more I love that you're a tough chick with a soft side...or a soft chick with a tough side. Either way, you rock. :) -Sandy

4:46 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

A man likes a good tight space ;)

7:44 pm  
Blogger Mel said...

Ah but you've become wise, Grasshopper....

5:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I just got caught up on all of your recent adventures, and it sounds like your analogy is very accurate. Keep squeezing through those tight spaces!

10:40 am  
Blogger caro said...

Now there's a good analogy!

Good stuff -- makes sense...alot of sense. Gonna chew on that for awhile, thanks!

4:55 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

SJ the Super Nanny would send you to the naughty stair for saying something like that!

8:50 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Oh, and Mel, I'll always be Grasshopper compared to you. You teach me well, Master. ;-) hehe

8:54 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

Will the super nanny also spank me? ;)

7:45 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

LOL "You're terrible, Muriel!"

8:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home