Saturday, March 03, 2007

The fear factor

It'll come as no surprise to some, but there are times when I attempt to bite off more than I can chew. Usually, it all works out fine. Sometimes, I question my sanity.

Today was the second time I went horse riding with my online social group. Last time I went, I got a feisty horse that had a bit of an attitude and didn't much like being to close to the other horses, let alone do anything I wanted. For some inexplicable reason, I asked for her again. She needed a new shoe before I could ride her, so I should have realised she'd be in a bad mood. When the guys led her out and she was fidgety and her ears were back, I wondered what I was getting myself into. She's a big horse!

I was last to get set up, because of the shoeing, and that was probably good, because she didn't have to wait around. She cantered without as much pushing as last time, but she tried to bite other horses she thought were too close and almost kicked one. By the half way point, I had people saying they were going to avoid me on the way back. They were half joking, but it's really not good being the one on the horse with an attitude amongst a group of 20 or so.

The guys who take the ride (which was through much more difficult terrain than last time!) are not young - very experienced. They kept checking on me, saying I was too nice to her. I said I like a challenge. They told me they could give me a more challenging horse. Um, no thanks!

I must admit, when she cantered, she was fast and smooth - very nice. One of the guys told me he often rides her as his own horse. That he'd choose her out of all the horses, is a good sign, but also shows how out of my league I obviously was. Ha! I have high expectations of myself!

I suppose if they didn't think I'd do ok, they wouldn't have let me on her - they prepared her especially for me and hadn't planned on using her at all. But man, I know all about "show no fear" now. When she cantered, she flew!

At one point, the tracks through the mountain were very narrow and extremely steep. It took a lot of patience and trust to navigate them. I can laugh about it now, but we got to the bottom of one steep slope and the track widened out and stayed flat for a while. A few people were a little ahead of us and I guess she wanted to catch up. She broke into a fast trot by herself and all I could think was, "there's a log over the track up there!" Before I knew it, I was sailing over the damn thing! Scary beforehand. Exciting immediately after! LOL

I forgot to take my camera this time and was annoyed with myself. I remembered other things I wanted to take photos of as well, along the way to the riding school. I may take a drive up there soon anyway, because it's a nice drive, even if you have no particular destination.

I do realise I've been pushing myself lately. I don't classify horse riding, go-karting, or camping as extreme, but you definitely have to have your wits about you for the former two. It feels like there's a need in me now to test myself physically. Not with your general sports or exercise (although I think I'll be going back to regular gym soon - I'm not motivated enough to do much at home), but with things where I have to push my mental will as well as being physical.

Another horse riding event is booked for the end of this month, at a different venue. My name is down, but I'm going to Miss Saigon that night. I'm not as sore and bruised this time as I was last time, but I'm weary. I want to enjoy the theatre, not wish I could pass out before the first interval. We'll see.

I'm also booked to go para-sailing in (two?) weeks. Not sure how I feel about that, but there's something that's driving me to do these things lately and it's probably best I get it out of my system. I had a great day, today....even though I was so worn out that I slept on the lounge for two hours when I got home.

AFGO, or three? Probably. If I can work through my fear to do these and other activities, then maybe I can work through my fear related to other situations too.

5 Comments:

Blogger caro said...

Okay, I keep saying how I need to go horse-back riding out of my element, which tends to be ranches around southern New Jersey [not exactly challenging or cool, if you're wondering], but I think I would be downright scared on a mountain! Maybe I should start going again, so I'm prepared for my trip to Australia ;-)

1:55 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

I want you to try ski jumping next :)

7:39 pm  
Blogger Mel said...

Oh, but she sounds like a grand, spirited creature who did right by you. (I'd bite other horses if they got in my 'bubble', too! LOL...that's IF I were a horse)

Sounds like you had the right horse and the right attitude to be on her.

(CAMERA next time, please?)

AFGO moments you can do with both feet on the ground, yaknow!
Para-sailing?
Ohhhh boy......

11:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Para-sailing!

!!!

You got bigger balls than I do fo' sho'. I'd be terrified the rope would break. Or like the ep of the simpsons? Where the motor sparked and the rope caught fire and Homer splattered onto Alec Baldwin's & Kim Basinger's house? Oh wait, I suppose that wouldn't be so bad after all...

9:28 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Caro, just come over and practice here! :-)

Jones, we'll go to Buller when you get back. That way, you get to ski jump too.

Mel, I was so thinking of you guys when I was kicking myself about the lack of camera. You should come over with Caro.

Erica, I am terrified of that happening (in an "I have to do it anyway" kind of way). Actually, just last weekend one of the guys from the online group died in a hang gliding accident in Sydney, so I'm sorta surprised this event is going ahead so soon afterwards.

9:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home