Monday, March 05, 2007

I should be grateful

My temp started today. The guys I work with are aged between 19 and mid 30s. They don't see me as one of the girls, so I don't count. My temp is a little Italian lady, probably in her late 50s.

She's really nice. The guys give her a month before she cracks. I give her till the end of the week.

So far, she's been completely overwhelmed by the type and the amount of work I do - that she has to learn. She was told she'd be doing "purchasing for construction". Um, no, it's a little more complicated than that. We support over 2,000 users inter/nationally with anything IT related....plus processing all expenses.

We're understaffed. There's physically no room for more staff in our area. She's squeezed in between two of the guys (who spend most of their days bickering like teenage boys and throwing staples and rubber bands at each other).

The whole dynamic felt weird today. The boys didn't know how to behave, one woman who couldn't pronounce her last name basically made a total fool of herself and insulted the poor woman not long after she arrived (and then apologised later to me - um, wrong person).

I just don't know.

There are so many things I want to be able to have her do. I've got very basic jobs she can do in the beginning, like ringing cell phone numbers from our phone bills, that don't have names against them, to find out who owns them and where they are. Once she's done that, I'll have to give her more complicated things. She mentioned this afternoon she doesn't really want to know details - just what she has to know to do what I need her to do. She needs to know details!

I'm not sure what to do. I was grateful for her making all the calls today. It's a job I haven't had time to do in the last 4 months, so I don't have to worry about it anymore. I want her to take the pressure off with some of the harder things too.

I don't know if she has the skills.....or if she'll fit in.....or if the boys will scare her off....or if I will.

She's nice. I'm just not sure how well it's going to turn out. I feel bad for not feeling good about this. I need someone to help out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

She's good at what she does, perhaps--but what she does isn't what you need her to do?

Has anyone communicated that to the temp agency?
Sounds to me like you're taking what she can do and putting it to use.....
Is that 'good enough'?

*wincing*
'Bad fits' aren't the easiest to call....

12:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home