Thursday, March 29, 2007

Sometimes small is big

I got an unusual request today. Someone from one of our business units called and said she'd sent a guy on a job across the country and he'd been in a car accident and died. His cell phone is still interstate and his wife and children have been ringing it daily to listen to his voice mail message.

I was asked to find out how they could get a copy of the message off the phone to have for his kids and (unborn) baby. This is one of those 'can't be done' things.

I made some phone calls and sent some emails to one of my contacts at our biggest national telco provider - that has a reputation of not giving a damn (and with whom I'm having battles issues with over service provision and pricing - big dollars!).

Within a couple of hours, I had confirmation that they'd make cds of the message - as many as the family wanted - and send them for no charge.

That's big. And it made my day. A little bit of good in what's been a really tough week.

4 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Holy shit :(

10:31 pm  
Blogger Mel said...

..k... What an awesome thing to be able to do for those little lives who still need the voice outside of them, today.

Makes my heart hurt for them all, though.

(((((((((((E))))))))))))

What an amazing thing you got done.

10:55 pm  
Blogger caro said...

Extremely unfortunate circumstances :( But a very cool gift you were able to give that family!

3:30 pm  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

What a wonderful thing to do! I'm glad that you went the extra mile to help them.

By the way, I DO read every one of your posts via bloglines, but don't always comment due to being so darned busy. Doesn't mean that I'm not thinking about you and sending you virtual hugs.

Just wanted to let you know.


((((((((((E))))))))))))))

3:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home