Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Dirty work

"It's not working out with Maria." That was a hard thing to say. I've spent the last week and a half explaining and re-explaining procedures and teaching her how to use our computer programs. There have been times I've needed so badly to just get things done, that I've had her just sit at my desk and watch my while I take calls, answer emails and produce orders all at once.

I'm tired. I'm more stressed out than before, because now I worry about the mistakes she might be making that I won't find out about till it has to be fixed. I'm very much a do it perfect the first time person; at least at work anyway.

She's not picking up theories and procedures, or working as fast as I need/expected. She doesn't understand the difference between certain products, even though I've physically shown her the difference. This is something that's imperative she know, or things will go haywire.

Maria is a nice lady. She's just not right for us. It makes me feel awful and underhanded that I've had to ask to have someone else do the job.

To make matters more interesting, I've asked for a guy to do the job. The guys I work with have given me a hard time about this. Sure, a girl could do the job, but there aren't many girls who are genuinely comfortable working in a high pressure IT role (in this case it would be heavy responsibility/no authority) and who can deal with the various personalities of the guys, including occasional angry outbursts and colourful language.

I've been told by the guys who interviewed me that I got the job over the other candidate, because of my skills, but also because I would fit in with the boys better. I'm not one of the girly girls in the office. That's part of the reason they barely speak to me, but that's a whole other post and doesn't really bother me a great deal.

Maria's a little Italian lady with grown kids. It's like working with someone's mum. It's hard to tell someone's mum - that you don't know all that well - what to do....or to do it again, if she's done it wrong the first time. I like her. She could be the mother of one of my friends. I just can't have her working for me. Besides that, she told me she's not interested in full time or permanent work. Why train someone who may not want to, or be able to, stay on, if necessary?

I need someone young, who is au fait with computer terms, phone technology, data technology, knows their way around a computer, and doesn't mind dealing with guy banter all day. Finding a girl to do that will be difficult. That's why I want a boy working for me.

I want someone who I can hand over the basics to in a few days, not a couple of weeks.

This really is not a good feeling....and I'm torn about what to say to her. I feel like I should say something.

7 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

So what you're saying is that now her kids are going to go hungry because you got their mum the sack.. ;)

12:12 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Thankfully, no...or I'd have more issues with it.

The other thing? She literally lives just up the road from me. Of course. Trust me to live in central Italy.

6:40 am  
Blogger thyst said...

Should I forward you my resume? I interviewed today for a programming position. Should hear back in a few weeks. I hate the waiting!

10:26 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

A few weeks? That'd drive me nuts! Can you start tomorrow?

The agency told her not to come in today. I feel worse now, because I wanted to talk to her today. Sigh...

But, the agency just called and I said I want a boy. They said they have an ex military guy who might be ok and they're sending me his resume. LOL "No comment!"

10:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow sounds tough. I don't know what I'd do in your position either - I'd be torn between wanting to tell her so she'd be able to find another position, or just leaving it up to my superiors.

Beware the military types... They typically don't like to be "bossed" around by women. (Speaking from my experience here) Lotsa luck getting the guy you're after!!

10:38 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Yeah, I kwym. I really want whoever it is to feel like they're working with me, not for me, so there might be hope. But yeah, I'm wary of that.

10:46 am  
Blogger Mel said...

When I get done laughing about them sending on a 'military guy' I might be back to comment. LOLOLOL

*yep, still laughing!*

3:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home