Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Who?

I drive past a small, uninteresting looking 'garden' on the way to work. It doesn't look like much of a garden. More like a bit of grass on the corner of a major intersection, with a couple of seats for drunks to rest on, and a strange looking stone sculpture. There was only one picture on the net that I could find, but the link to it was broken.

The plaque reads:
Raoul Wallenberg
1912 -

For a long time, I thought I should search the name to see who he was. I wondered if he lived in the area, or drove past and if he felt odd driving past - knowing someone was just waiting for him to kick the bucket so they could finish the plaque.

Silly me. I don't know why it took me so long and I honestly don't know why I hadn't heard (or remembered) the name before.

A history lesson.

I think next time I'm curious about something like this, I'll try to find the answer sooner rather than later. I got a little more educated after this particular search.

7 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

I'm not reading all that, just give me the short version :)

7:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that was utterly fascinating! Like you, I can't believe I've never heard of this man, it definitely seems like they would have turned this into a movie or book by now. Thanks for sharing a little bit of history.

1:53 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Just for you, SJ...
"...On the eastern edge of Kew Junction there is a small memorial garden to Raoul Wallenberg credited with saving the lives of 95,000 Jewish people during World War II...."

9:45 am  
Blogger SJ said...

Oh, him! Sure, I know him :)

10:54 am  
Blogger Mel said...

How attached to things/stories/circumstances do I get today?
Enough to get tearful during the history lesson.

((((((((((E)))))))))))

12:15 pm  
Blogger grrltraveler said...

huh. you learn something new every day...

a

7:20 am  
Blogger Badpatty said...

That was one hell of a story. Wow. All we have around here are Confederate generals.

10:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home