Thursday, September 14, 2006

What part of "No" do you not understand?

"Hi, my name is Stephen and I'm your allocated representative from [new phone company]. I'm just calling to see if we can help you in any way with your mobile phone?"

Ok, I was in my car on the way home from my second interview with a recruitment agency for the day, had a headache and was frankly done talking to people. My first thought was ok, I haven't paid my bill yet, he's gonna bug me about it and I am soooo over dealing with phone companies.

He wasn't calling about my bill. Sort of. He was calling to tell me I'd spent double the $$ plan I was on for the last two months. Yes, I know. It was an anomoly. This month I'm only $20 over, so I don't care.

Stephen (he sounded like the 'ph' type) suggested I start the $100 plan, instead of the $60 one so I could "bring (my) call costs right down". I told him I was in my car and not really interested in making that decision in.my.car.

"Oh, you don't have to do anything", he told me, "I can do it right now. I'll swap you over now and you will really notice the savings next month." I scratched my head. Paying $40 more?....which is $20 more than this month's bill will be?

I explained, in the most not-about-to-scream voice I could muster, that I had been arguing with and negotiating with both major phone companies every single week for the entire year, I'd just got things to a point where I was ok with them and I did not want to impulsively change my phone plan, sitting in my car.

He wasn't about to give up. In fact, he went on a different tangent. He tackled my home phone. He queried why I didn't have my landline and mobile on the one account - saving me all of $8.75 a month and giving me 50 free local calls. I rebutted with the fact that if I had been offered that when I signed up in the first place, I probably would have done that. "Oh, well I can do that for you now."

"Noooooooo!" Well, I wanted to scream it, but didn't. I was being so calm and nice. T would have been amazed. In these circumstances, I don't really do *nice*. I especially don't do nice when these two damn companies have combined to make my life a misery for the last 10 months.

Stephen, with a 'ph' and an apparent capital 'S' for stupid, then tried one more time to coerce me into changing my phone plan that second. "Ok, well how about we change you to the $100 plan now while you think about the rest?"

Maybe he needed to get the commission so he doesn't have to eat two minute noodles for the next week, but if you're gonna pester and harrass me to make an on the spot decision AFTER I've said I'm not going to make an on the spot decision, you'll just make me more determined to say no, whether it's a good deal, or not.

He's convinced I'm going to call him in the morning and tell him to go ahead and make the changes.

Stephen? Buy the oriental flavour noodles. The chicken ones are no good.

6 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

I think he fancied you ;)

10:44 pm  
Blogger grrltraveler said...

I hate it when they don't take a hint. And then I have.to.hang.up.on.them. Sigh...

hugs,

5:09 am  
Blogger ezri.blue said...

I HATE that. Some asshat from Telstra called my cell the other day (Kira was screaming for dinner in the background) and I could barely understand him. He kept telling me he could save me money on my phone bill... asked me how much a month I spend on it, and then proceeded to tell me he could give me a deal for "alot less than what you're paying!" Riiight. I kept having to ask him to repeat himself because I couldn't hear him too well over the enraged infant, and HE was on a cellphone too which sounded like it kept cutting out. After about two minutes I hung up. Morons!!

8:02 am  
Blogger SJ said...

Maybe it's because u r the most gorjuz thing he haz ever seen ;)

3:08 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

U r so funy Mr Jones dude. :-p

E, I have dudes coming to my front door doing that pitch. I hate it!

9:16 pm  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

Funny what Scaramouche Jones said...

Anyhoo- I am sorry that these people have to resort to a telemarketing job to make their way in the world, but they annoy the living crap out of me.

(living crap? ewww)

My soft heart feels sorry for them, but they piss me right off. What to do...

1:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home