Friday, September 29, 2006

Some good stuff

I slept for a bit over 5 hours straight last night. The last time I did that was....well, I have no idea. My form of narcolepsy means I don't go through all the normal sleep stages, so I wake about every 90 minutes. That's one of the reasons I get dead tired during the day.

But 5 hours straight is amazing. It might even have been more than that, because I can't remember looking at the clock after I went to bed till I woke just before 5.30am. Even better, I went back to sleep and didn't move again till my alarm went off.

Roll your eyes and say, "Whatever", but this is big for me.

The biggest thing I'm noticing is how I feel when I wake up. I feel good. I'm so used to waking up tired and with a headache and with absolutely no desire to get out of bed at all. I'm used to feeling like I don't have the energy to get dressed for work, let alone go to work.

That's partially stopped my worries about starting a new job. I've been concerned that I'd start a new job looking and feeling like shite, headachy and unmotivated. Ok, so I'm still working on getting out of bed when I'm supposed to and getting to work at a reasonable time, but I think that'll get better over time as I adjust to feeling good in the mornings (or any time, for that matter).

This has all come about since I've been having the massage and acupuncture....and I've only been 5 times so far. The fact that I almost fell asleep during yesterday's session tells me something about it is definitely making a positive difference.

I think the hardest adjustment for me will be psychological. I'm so used to having no energy and no motivation to get out and be social or simply go out and enjoy myself. The trick will be to notice when my body is feeling good and use that time to do things that make me feel good emotionally, too.

Speaking of things emotional, I think T's booking tickets today to come here in a couple of weeks, for a few days. That just happens to be our 1 year anniversary. Time flies.

1 Comments:

Blogger grrltraveler said...

Whew! I don't know how I would exist on such small amounts of quality sleep. I certainly take it for granted (not to be much longer I'm sure). I'm absolutely thrilled that the acupuncture massage thing is working for you especially since you're waking up feeling good. That's got to be the best side effect. I hope it keeps up for you!

hugs,
a

10:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home