Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Tension

I feel like I've been mentally stretched so far that the slightest thing is going to make me snap. I'm not sure how much of it is actual circumstances and how much is me over-thinking circumstances and making myself more overwhelmed than I should be.

I've been put forward or considered for a few jobs through agencies. They're decent jobs and I've been quite interested in a couple, but the problem is the salaries are ridiculously low. My skills and experience apparently make me a good candidate (contrary to what I was told earlier this year, so who knows...)....but if I'm [now] so damn good on paper, why is nobody willing to pay what I'm worth? I went for a great interview last week...well, until $$ were mentioned. I rang the agency woman this afternoon and she said the company would probably be in a better position to offer me the role and salary I'm looking for in the next twelve months or so. Huh? So why put me forward now? Why did the company agree to see me, knowing I was out of their price range? I honestly don't get it.

Yesterday, it happened again. Another agency rang me and emailed the position description for what looked like an interesting job...that's paying more than $7K less than I'm on now! WTF? "Great skills and experience" obviously does not mean you're going to be paid anywhere near what your skills and experience are worth. It's disheartening.

I know I have to be patient. I know I'm putting a lot of my lack of happiness (note, that doesn't necessarily mean I'm unhappy) down to my current financial state. Getting a new job, having a fresh start, and being paid more in line with what I think I'm worth will ease a lot of the mental stress I've put on myself and take pressure off other areas of my life. Probably not the best way to be thinking. Especially if this process is going to drag out over time, as it's done so far. But it is the way it is.

I don't feel like I'm failing - can't think of a better word - but I'm not really getting anywhere either. I'm tired of being in this place in my head. I've been here too long.

Sigh....this is not the only thing I'm stressed about, but I really don't have the energy or concentration of thought to post about anything else tonight.

I'm just tired....in my body and in my brain.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry this has been such a stressful endeavor. I worry about this a great deal... that I'll be able to find a job without a problem, but not a salary equal to what I'm worth. I dread to job hunt--Dread it with a capital D!

2:05 am  
Blogger SJ said...

Remember thought that agencies take their cut. Perhaps the $7k less is the $7k the agency is taking for finding you

6:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian's right... Much as it blows, agencies need their cuts too. That's the same thing we were finding with Dwayne when he was first looking for jobs. Thankfully he doesn't go through an agency anymore but now we have to worry about whether or not he'll get any tax back since he's not Aussie. :\

11:33 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

It's a new company that's been operating less than a year. It's business is in (property) acquisitions and they're currently still running at a loss. The salary is what it is because they don't have the $$ yet to offer more. In 6 months, that'll be a different story.

The agency will charge a percentage of whatever is the final salary offered, but that is a separate beastie here.

I'm just bummed coz I told the agency up front what I wanted and she told the company. I spent $20 I couldn't afford on parking for a pointless exercise.

11:48 am  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

((((((((((E)))))))))))))), I don't know what I could possibly say that would be at all meaningful. I know this will sort itself out- it always does- but that doesn't help you feel any better in the meantime.

I'll just hope for a fast forward button to come your way.

xoxo

1:23 am  
Blogger Anonymous G said...

(((((((((E))))))))

Job hunting..job changes..some of the most challenging of life's endeavors.

I like what RG said. Fast forward button. Yeah!

xo

2:18 pm  
Blogger thyst said...

I hear you loud and clear. I took a job making 12K less than my last one. And it is supposed to be a higher job grade than the last one. Companies just do not want to pay what we are worth. I am still looking around for better.

8:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home