Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Making headway

I saw a woman from an employment agency a few weeks ago. That was a feat in itself, because I'm not the average agency's ideal candidate. Go figure...I have too much experience across too many industries/job functions, so they don't usually look at me. The woman I saw gave me very specific advice about how to change my resume to get results. My G-d, I wish I met her two years ago!

I've had 4 agencies contact me since then. Two to say they liked me, but didn't have anything for me at the moment. I can handle that. The acknowledgement is better than nothing. I've had appointments with the other two. Both have put me forward for (very different!) jobs.

I haven't heard back from one, although I expect to tomorrow because they sent my resume to the client late yesterday, and I have an interview with the other client tomorrow. The woman from that agency actually told me that she thought they should give me the job (yeah, I know she's not supposed to say that). I'm asking considerably more $$ than they're expecting to pay, but the fact that they're willing to see me means they're at least somewhat interested and perhaps willing to negotiate. Agency lady said basically all I had to do was convince them I'm worth the money I'm asking. Yeah, so easy! Wait and see I guess. I'm hopeful that it'll go well, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Oh, I'm also doing some contract work in my spare time (see: mostly at work) for a company that's just starting up. It started off as simply setting up templates for their documentation, then corporate structure diagrams and stuff like that. Now I'm putting together their website. Ack! Busy...but I need the money and I'm grateful for the stimulation and the challenge.

2 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Do you think prostitutes like to make headway? :)

5:21 pm  
Blogger Mel said...

*clamping lips together so snickering doesn't happen*

:-\

10:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home