Thursday, August 17, 2006

Oops

I had one of those, "Can we just take back those last 10 seconds?" moments late this afternoon.

My phone rang and it was the HR manager for our major newspaper. I'd applied late last night for a role with one of their top bosses (and thought they'd tell me to take a hike). He was a nice guy and we were having a pretty cool conversation in which he made a passing comment that he thought I might not be at work at that time since school gets out at 3.30pm.

My brilliant, unthinking self replied, "Oh I wish I could finish work at 3.30pm!" Yeah, smart thing to say to a potential employer, brainiac.

"Really?", he says. Backtrack...backtrack...!

"Oh no, not really. I get a lot of work done in the afternoons...." Ok, so I would get a lot done if I had anything to actually do.

Surprisingly, we talked for another 15 minutes, he gave me more detailed info than he probably should have, and I scammed an interview for next Monday.

5 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

This could Herald a new start for you. Could be an Age you'll remember :)

6:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should I ever get back into the workforce, I'm going to be blatantly honest about my worth ethic. It's not terribly ethical. "Between these hours I'm still waking up so don't expect anything. Between these hours I'm trying not to fall asleep so don't expect anything. Between these hours I'm jonesing to go home and will probably be a total bitch so don't expect anything. What do you mean why do I want to work for you? I *don't*. I just want the money." LOL can you tell I don't really want to work again?

8:58 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Ian, it's the bigger one. ;-)

E, I hear ya! That's what I want to say all the time! I did tell one employer a while ago I was good between 11am and 2pm. Wonder why I didn't get that one...LOL

10:30 am  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

Eh, never regret being yourself. You want an employer to hire *YOU*, not the perfected, polished *you*.

I just know something great is in store for you.

xoxo

3:20 pm  
Blogger grrltraveler said...

I agree with RG. Honey, we ALL want to quit work at 3:30, even that guy! Lol.
Why lie about it? Doesn't say anything about how hard you work the rest of the time.. and it doesn't say anything about whether you actually would work until 3:30, unlesss those were your work hours!

hugs,
a

8:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home