Tuesday, August 22, 2006

More odds than ends

I went for my interview with the HR guy from the newspaper yesterday afternoon. It was supposed to be short. I talked his ear off for an hour. Sometimes though, I really should not get so relaxed with people...

It was drawing to a close and he asked if there was anything I wanted to know. After I'd brought up a couple of things I was interested in then I asked about salary.

Him: What are you looking for?
Me: Tell me your range and I'll tell ya if it's ok.
Him: Ha, no you tell me.
Me: Hey, I'm the one askin' the questions here!
I tell him what I'd like...
Me: So where's that sit with you?
Him: Well, it's at the higher end of the scale, but within the range we're looking at.
Me: Ok, cool, so I haven't ruled myself out already.
Him: Nope. This is the publishing industry. We have lots of money.
Me: Dammit, I should have asked for more!
Him: Well, actually our plant operations managers don't get much more than that.
Me: Gee, sucks to be them huh!

Ack, yes, I said that! Despite me being a doofus, I was relatively happy when I left. I know they're interviewing a couple of other people and one's internal (probably my biggest threat, I guess), so I'm not going to get overly excited or anxious. I might start sweating if I get an appointment with the actual guy I'd be working for.

Meeeeanwhile, I fly to Perth on Thursday, where I'll be meeting my mother, taking her to her hotel and praying that the time from then till Sunday night goes quickly and smoothly. This will be the first meeting between her and T. Gawd, I'm more nervous than I probably should be, but I know them both. Left alone, they'd probably drive each other insane.

I should mention my mum is going to Perth with me for a family function, not just coz I wanted her to spend 4 days with me and T! Sheeesh!

Blah dee blah dee blah....the phone saga continues....it's gotten more complicated and this little black duck is getting very, very irritated.....irritation compounded because phone company #1 guy will not answer his phone. Ironic huh? Stay tuned...

3 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Maybe the phone guy's been cut off

2:04 pm  
Blogger grrltraveler said...

lol, ian! one can only hope the phone guy gets his due.

i'm glad i kept reading, i was starting to think i was seeing things - you and your mom visiting perth to see T - it seemed a bit surreal at the moment. Now I know it was some other family event. I will send multiple good thoughts and vibes your way that there is little insanity during your 4 days with her and that she and T at least get along for your sake!

(((((((((((((((((((E)))))))))))))))))

a

9:24 am  
Blogger Anonymous G said...

I wonder how it's going with the mom and the boy.....

Maybe there's a good new message waiting at home from the newspaper?

Do tell!

xo

3:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home