Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Family part 13 - rewriting history

We're in the car, driving through Perth on Saturday and it's tense because mum and T had an altercation the previous night (To be dissected - maybe - in another post. No, the weekend didn't go particularly well in that regard).

Mum starts fondly reminiscing about her jerk ex-bf who made our lives hell for years.

Mum: [jerk] grew up here. His dad thought they had too many kids and he was the youngest so he threw him in the river and his mum had to get him out. (Probably not verbatim, coz I was too in shock to pay full attention.)

Me: (thinking) Pity he got out...
Me: Mum, that's not somebody I have any good memories about.

Mum: Really? Why? Was he awful to you?

WTF????????????

Me: Mum, he was awful to ALL of us.

Mum: Well, he did buy us a house...

I'm glad I was in the front seat and she couldn't see the shock and horror on my face. Her brain has rewritten history entirely. She says awful and untrue things about dad constantly and only ever recalls the 'good' things this evil, horrid, toxic person did.

Truly, I don't understand. But, it explains a lot.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know people like that, my exes mother was one of them. It was terribly difficult having a conversation with her because I never knew on any given day, which part of "reality" we'd be entering.

Glad you're back though. Missed you! :)

8:49 pm  
Blogger grrltraveler said...

Oh god.. it's amazing how people's version of the same thing can be so different. maybe she blocked out the bad so she could go on with her life and not have to face the guilt of what she might have put you guys through.

glad you survived the weekend!

hugs,
a

8:42 am  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

No big surprise, I'm sure- but if my mom and I were to write a book about our lives together- it'd be VASTLY different. Not even in the same galaxy!

12:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home