Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A win for the little guy....um, girl

There's something rather satisfying about getting a call from the finance department of your phone provider and telling them that things are going to be on your terms, not theirs.

Yesterday I shed tears of frustration from trying to get answers from yet another person who told me, "they should have explained that when you took on the contract". T was ready to go postal on every person I've ever spoken to at that damn company.

Today I got a call from a woman who said I had to call their finance department. Before I did, I decided I was going to tell them I would pay exactly what I was told I was going to pay each month, and nothing more, and that I was going to complain to the telecommunications ombudsman and if there were any payments we agreed on after that, I'd pay them off after I cancel my contract (early) when I move.

I don't think I've ever dealt with a finance company person before who has actually agreed that I should dispute what I owe and that I should take my complaint further (even giving me advice! ha!).

I'm not completely happy, because this saga is not yet over, but it's the first time in months I feel like I've had a win with these idiots and that's a good feeling.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if you have this over in Aust. but here, before just about every utility phone call is answered, there's a recording saying, "This call is being recorded to provide the best customer service...blah blah blah"...funny how they can never find those tapes when they're insisting we "should have been told" something. Sounds like you made some headway here though! Yay you. :)

10:05 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Yeah they have that here too, 'for training purposes'. When I rang the guy, he said they were just giving me 'a courtesy call'. I laughed and said that was amusing considering the drama they've put me through.

10:13 pm  
Blogger thyst said...

Get'em E! Being on the technical side of telecommunications I sometimes get calls from people that are misdirected. I always wish I could help more, but I have no access to billing or their inner workings.

2:07 am  
Blogger thyst said...

Hey...it could be worse....
.
Man Gets $218 Trillion Phone Bill

Monday, April 10, 2006
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - A Malaysian man said he nearly fainted when he recieved a $218 trillion phone bill and was ordered to pay up within 10 days or face prosecution, a newspaper reported Monday.

Yahaya Wahab said he disconnected his late father's phone line in January after he died and settled the $23 bill, the New Straits Times reported.

But Telekom Malaysia later sent him a $218 trillion bill for recent telephone calls along with orders to settle within 10 days or face legal proceedings, the newspaper reported.

It wasn't clear whether the bill was a mistake, or if Yahaya's father's phone line was used illegally after after his death.

"If the company wants to seek legal action as mentioned in the letter, I'm ready to face it," the paper quoted Yahaya as saying. "In fact, I can't wait to face it," he said.

3:23 am  
Blogger kT said...

Phone companies BITE, but good for you for finally finding someone on the Inside who agrees with you!

5:23 am  
Blogger SJ said...

Bloody people. Everyone. That's all I have to say today :(

6:25 am  
Blogger ezri.blue said...

Sounds like the shit my brother went through when dealing with 3. His whole problem lasted almost 4 months with them, which convinced me to go prepaid all the way. Yay vodafone!

11:45 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

M, I'm not sure I'd like your job...or maybe I would. LOL

kT, I am working on my telepathy skills. I might get better results than using phones.

Ian, not sure if you got my second email this morning. Hope you're doing better now.

e, I was with Vodafone and I luuuuurved them. No contract, no ongoing rates, no minimum spend. I just paid for what I used, coz I'd been with them so long. Stupid Opt-arse (their new name from me) said they'd do a better deal. I'm now paying 3 times as much. Sooooo not happy! I wish I never changed! :-( T's gonna add me to his Telstra plan when I move. I don't like them either, but they have to be better than what I have now.

12:05 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

Hang on - $218 TRILLION?? Even if it was used illegally, I cannot see how they could rack up $218 trillion in 3 months - not unless it was being used by NASA!

Yes I got the email. Thanks :)

1:25 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Musta been long distance calls. LOL

1:36 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

Maybe someone was having an inter-galaxy relationship. Perth doesn't seem so far away now, does it :)

3:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home