Saturday, April 08, 2006

Family - part 8

My mum called. Last week she'd told me that middle sister might be moving to Sydney at the end of the year, because her new boyfriend was being assigned there by the Navy. Those plans have changed. He's now being transferred to Fremantle....half an hour from where T lives in Perth. I don't know how I feel about it yet. I still haven't said anything to my family about me moving.

Next, she asked me if I had plans for the weekend. I said no. I should have known that was a loaded question. Youngest sister and her family are down here this weekend. They've known about it for a while, because they've organised to go out to dinner with my brother tonight (Sat) and lunch tomorrow. Mum says they really want to see me and I should ring my brother, because they were going to invite me to dinner. I didn't ring my brother. I don't see that I should be expected to call and invite myself along to dinner when they could have and should have called me, long before today, if they wanted to see me that badly.

My brother eventually rang just after 6pm and apologised for not remembering to call sooner. He asked if I wanted to meet them for dinner. I said no, it's short notice and youngest sister could have called prior to flying down here. He said they're all going out to lunch tomorrow and asked if I wanted to go. I said I'd let him know tomorrow. I'd rather scrub my floors.

I am not at all pleased that I'm expected to drop everything at the last minute to play happy families with people who aren't even courteous enough to let me know they'd be here in advance. I'm not pleased that my mother was the one to tell me. This was not a last minute thing. They won the trip in a competition. It's also not the first time they've come down and I've either not known, or they haven't contacted me.

To be honest, I'd rather they didn't contact me and I'd rather I wasn't invited out. I haven't seen youngest sister in years and she's never picked up the phone to call. I don't know her anymore and she has no clue about me or my life or who I am, other than what mum passes along second hand.

I am not ready to say what I need to say to everyone. I know I need to do it soon.

The third gem was when mum was telling me about an evening out that she'd had with her friends. They went to see a choral group....one I'd auditioned for and was accepted into while I still lived at home. I moved to Sydney to be with my boyfriend instead. I was 17. I didn't know better... Apparently she sat there and was sad because, "that could have been you up there". Gee, thanks for making me feel good.

I'm tired, narky and haven't taken my drugs today. T got a punctured tyre in the middle of nowhere and almost stepped on a snake today. I'm looking forward to going to bed.

And someone needs to buy my weather pixie a coat.

2 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

So how you going to break the news about the move west? You just going to come out and say "oh by the way this is what I'm doing, get over it?" or do you plan a more tactful ease into the news?

1:44 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Yeah, that's pretty much how I'll say it. The more time people have to think about it before it happens, the more time they'll have to try to make me feel bad about it. It's stressful enough without that.

2:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home