Sunday, April 30, 2006

This situation gets to me

Rescuers have spoken to two miners trapped underground for five days at the Beaconsfield mine in Tasmania's north. Crowds are gathering at the mine site as efforts continue to bring Todd Russell and Brant Webb to the surface.

At this stage the condition of the two men's unclear. They were trapped one kilometre underground after a rockfall on Tuesday night, caused by a minor earthquake. Read more...


T was down a pit today. It's only occasionally that he goes down the mines for tours, or other things related to his job. Rationally, I know he (and his company) is very safety conscious, but things like this happen.

The fact that the mine in the above article happened to be a gold mine just brings it a little closer to home than I'd like. I'm more than grateful that he's not a miner or doing some other job that requires him to be underground more often than not.

I appreciate the fact that the bad things he's likely to run into daily only (ha!) include getting bitten by a snake/spider in the middle of nowhere, getting dehydrated in the middle of nowhere, hitting a kangaroo at 120kms an hour, or other fun stuff like that. :-p

I feel for the family who lost someone this week. I can also imagine the relief of the families who just found out their guys are ok.

3 Comments:

Blogger issuational said...

I was in shock last night when I heard they were alive...and I agree I really feel for the family of the guy that didn't make it.

7:03 am  
Blogger consise10 said...

Yea disasters like this can be overwhelming,especially when they are splashed all over the front pages of newspapers. So lucky to have survived, but not yet freed. Impossible to imagine.

11:48 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Issuational, thanks for dropping by. I've read your blog before. :-)

Consise, nice to see you back and hope you 'found' what you needed while you were away.

I'm really not liking the whole news circus about this rescue. They're making such a big deal out of it...and bringing in the guy who helped rescue Stuart Diver?...not necessary. That was an above ground rescue and totally different from this one....and how many 'experts' do they need standing around giving 'advice'? These guys are still in real danger of having the rock collapse on them. It'll only be time to celebrate once they're above ground.

/end rant.

2:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home